Skip to main content
Topic: Interesting Windows feature (?) (Read 18482 times) previous topic - next topic

Interesting Windows feature (?)

I use Firefox as my default browser. When I accessed this forum via NWC2, it called Firefox. Yesterday, I un-installed FF 1.0.7 and installed FF1.5.

Now, FF insists that it is the default browser. Windows insists that FF is the default browser (set defaults). But when I access from NWC, I get IE6 !

Anyone else?

Re: Interesting Windows feature (?)

Reply #1
Both my work and home computers use Firefox to access NWC (which I'm doing now).  I think the only difference was that I didn't uninstall 1.0.x first; I just installed 1.5 over it.

I've had no problems with NWC using Firefox as the default.  Not sure why you're having the problem.

Reply #2
No problems here, either. Everything works fine. I'm using FF 1.0.7.

Daniel

Reply #3
If IE6 opens when you select the "Access..." in NWC2, then it is configured as the default browser for use by the Windows Shell in access to https (note the "s"). You can configure this manually in the registry from:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ https \ shell \ open \ command

Perhaps FF only updates the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http registry key.

Reply #4
Checked the registry. The keys are set for Firefox, with or without the "s". Happens even if I "deny access to" IE and its icon is removed from the desktop. Both Windows and Firefox insist that Firefox is the only allowable browser. But When NWC calls a browser, up comes IE6. Like, whoa! My registry is supposedly clean, too.

I am wondering if perhaps NWC2 calls Explorer.exe (rather than Internet Explorer) ? Then, perhaps Explorer.exe calls IE when it seen that the page is one of the HTML protocols ?

I don't expect that NWC will solve this conundrum. Just mentioning it, because it creates the possibility that IE can be launched despite all efforts to the contrary, unless the browser itself is removed (or file renamed).

Reply #5
You are now about to enter the Twilight Zone...

I exposed the hidden and system files, and re-named iexplore.exe to something else. Theoretically, any call to IE should bomb.

I verified that iexplore.exe was not a running process.

I entered the NWC2 forum... and up comes IE6 !!!

I check the running processes. iexplore.exe is running !!!
Whence cometh iexplore.exe ? Methinks I can guess. Before I came here, I noticed that another MS process was running, one which did not seem to pertain to anything necessarily going on in the system. It appears to be leftover from something else by MS that I recently tried, and (supposedly) uninstalled. Could it be that MS left a bug behind?

... to be investigated. Doesn't seem to concern NWC2.

Reply #6
I had the Windows Script debugger installed and activated within IE. When I called the NWC2 forum, I noticed that the script deugger was also activated. Maybe this is normal, maybe not.

Apparently, if iexplore.exe is missing, Windows (XPsp2) automagically creates a new one ! That's why iexplore.exe could launch, even though I had re-named the file.

With script debugger off, and with the newly-created IE in place, I again came here. This time, when I tried to access NW software, I got an error message. Something about a key missing from yadayada.php?unintelligiblecode. The error message suggested that maybe it couldn't find the default browser, and invited me to pick something from the program list. I chose Firefox (1.5), and here I am, in Firefox. That didn't happen when I had Firefox 1.0.7, but who knows why.

Reply #7
After the above, I exited NWC2, re-launched the program, and when I attempted to access NWC, I again got the complaint about a missing key (too long and complicated to write here). It did not look like a registry key, but something peculiar to NWC2.

Could it be that the NWC site has stored something, so that when I access from the changed program (Firefox 1.5) it doesn't like my identifier? Note that I uninstalled the old Firefox before installing 1.5.

In any case, after the system "tries a different approach" it lets me choose Firefox to get here. But even though I ask it to remember the association, it does not do so. When I came back, same problem.

Reply #8
>I am wondering if perhaps NWC2 calls Explorer.exe

No. It simply passes a URL to the Windows Shell. You can do this directly by entering a URL into the Run command on the Windows Start menu.

See also: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4762: Can't get to IE in NW2

Reply #9
As far as I can tell (limited knowledge, here):

Somehow, NWC2 recognizes the user's browser by a key, attached as query string. When I changed from FF 1.0.7 to FF 1.5 (removing ALL FF-related folders and keys in the process, including Mozilla folders in Documents and Settings), that caused the key to be invalid for FF 1.5.

When I attempted to access NWC via NWC2, it attempted to call Firefox. But the key was missing or invalid. It passed this error to Windows Script Debugger, which was enabled (not everyone has this feature, as it is an optional Windows component). The debugger called IE6 for the purpose of handling the error. Then, IE6 was able to handle it by accessing NWC without further error message.

When I exited NWC2 and turned off script debugging, then re-entered NWC2, accessing NWC generated the error, as before. But this time there was no handler. So, I saw the error message (IE was not launched). It asked me to try a different approach. I chose Firefox, and it launched Firefox. But this choice is not remembered - each time, it give the missing key error.

So, my question is: Did NWC2 store a user ID somewhere in the Mozilla folder, buried in Documents and Settings? Or, in the Registry? If so, can I restore it myself, by typing the missing key number (which is exposed), and re-creating the missing setting? If so, get back to me by Email on that, as I assume it would not be suitable for public view.

According to Windows, and Firefox, there is no problem with Firefox being the default browser. No doubt about it, FF is the default in all circumstances.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe a Firefox extension is somehow disrupting communication. Some of the extensions have been changed for version 1.5. But I haven't had a problem with regular web surfing.

Reply #10
NWC2 does not store, contain, or maintain any browser configuration information. It simply passes a URL to the Windows Shell. The rest is up to Windows. As I said before, you can simulate exactly what NWC2 does by typing a URL into your Start, Run box that starts with https://.

Reply #11
The Registry needed some heavy-duty editing. Evidently, the uninstall of FF 1.0.7 (and subsequent cleaning of the registry) took out some info that 1.5 was expecting to see.

After playing with root https, and also playing with the NWC's php funky key (which I located, here and there), I have been able to get both "Run https://..." and NWC2 to launch FF 1.5. Alas, in addition to running the browser, I get an error message. No doubt I over-edited the Registry, and can fix everything by further edits.

Reply #12
After further edits: Fixed. It wasn't just https, but also http (if launched from Run). There was a Registry conflict between commands to Firefox and commands to IExplore via dde.

I have no idea what any of that means. I just compared things that didn't work to other things that did work, and made them both look the same.

Apparently, the uninstall-reinstall of FF, with different versions, confused the Registry.

It will be interesting to see if others report something similar, if they uninstall before installing. The FF release notes give no advice on the subject.

Reply #13
Robert, this looks like a Firefox problem rather than an NWC2 problem. I'm glad you've posted this exchange here - it's been very educational - but shouldn't you be posting it in the Firefox forum as well? A quick glance over there (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38) suggests that many people are having problems with FF 1.5, including some very troubling interactions with the ZoneAlarm firewall. I use 1.0.4 (and also ZoneAlarm) and have been waiting for the problems to subside before updating.

Removing IE (or even renaming it) can be dangerous, as parts of it are deeply embedded in the Windows OS. You may experience some other glitches. I keep an updated copy of IE on my system but mute it as far as possible.

William Ashworth

Reply #14
The reason I posted it here is that I had not seen problem behavior anywhere except via NWC2. So, I did not know in advance where the problem might be. Since some sort of private key was involved, I thought it might specifically be an interaction between NWC2 and FF 1.5. It seemed best that NWC know now, before dozens of complaints pour in.

Shortly after NWC introduced its browser plugin, MS changed IE so that ordinary plugins wouldn't (normally) work. Naturally, most users blamed NWC.

I'd post to Firefox (been there, done that), but since the problem may have equally been caused by any amount of privacy software that I use - not all of which is standard - I don't want to frighten anyone away from FF 1.5. Nobody would be scared from NWC2, since the problem (if anyone else has it) would only affect a few users.

So now, if others have a problem, there is no cause for concern with NWC2. If I had been some other users, I would have asked the original question in large capital letters, blamed a vast conspiracy, and done nothing to solve the problem myself.

Reply #15
Afterthought: Eric (NWC), why don't you remove this message thread from the forum? Now that you know a problem *might* occur under *some* circumstances, there's no need to retain my lengthy system-specific babble. If you don't remove it, there people having problems with FF will swing by here, and maybe that's a bad idea. (At least they can't post.)

Reply #16
Robert, I guess I can understand why you might want this thread removed from the forum, but it could be useful to other people experiencing NWC/browser problems - not just FF, but Opera and other IE alternates. I'd like to see it left here. It hasn't sent me back to IE, and I doubt it will do that to anyone else either - if that was one of your worries.

Reply #17
I'd like it kept too.  I'm too lazy to change to FF, but if I ever do, knowing me, I will surely experience problems.  It would be nice to be able to find this discussion at that time.

Reply #18
As Humphrey Bogart said, when the young lady at his roulette table had just won big on a number selected by Humph: "Leave it there."

Reply #19
I just installed Mozilla FireFox 1.5.

I was able to switch my system's default browser between FireFox and Internet Explorer by using the following procedures:

• For FireFox
    • Go to Tools, Options, General, Default Browser, then press the "Check Now" button
    • Answer "Yes" to making it the default browser
  • For Internet Explorer
    • Close all Internet Explorer windows
    • Open Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs
    • Enable Option "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser"
    • Start Internet Explorer (this must be your first Internet Explorer window in order for this to work reliably)
    • Answer "Yes" to the prompt
Using these procedures, I did not experience any problems while switching back and forth between the two browsers. I switched back and forth about 8 times. Each time, the change was immediate. It immediately changed the default browser that appeared when using the NWC2 "Help, Access..." command.

See also:
  • faq #101: How do I change the browser that opens when I check for updates?

Reply #20
Agreed that there should not have been a problem. My ever-vigilant software (other than browsers) apparently removed some FF Registry keys that should have been in place; when I came here, it generated an error, which was trapped and referred to IE (as error handler).

I discovered that the keys for "htmlfile" do not contain FF. Rather, there is a separate "Firefoxhtml" set of keys.

And, when I temporary changed the file name for IE in hopes that it couldn't be invoked, Windows helpfully auto-changed its Registry keys referring to IE (on the fly, apparently, without reboot or notifying me) so that the changed name could still be found. Now, that's Big Brother at work!

Reply #21
Try running Registry Mechanic (free) www.pctools.com

Then, go to "My Computer/Folder Options/File Types" and scroll down to the ".htm and .html" file extensions and change the default to whatever browser you want.

Robert

Reply #22
Actually, I fixed the problem manually, once NWC set me straight about how the browser was called. But the above suggestion might be useful for those who don't know how to do it.