Skip to main content
Topic: Wishlist: multiple stave copy/paste (Read 7587 times) previous topic - next topic

Wishlist: multiple stave copy/paste

Okay, I'm sure that I'm not the first one to wish that one could simply highlight a group of measures across all staves at once, then cut, copy, or paste over the contents to/from the clipboard.  I know that there is a User Tool that simplifies the process, and also that the way NWC allows independent entry of staves such that they don't even have to align from stave to stave; nevertheless, there are countless times that I want to move sections around.  Move one stave's worth, and this notation no longer matches the others, so move the next,... wow, what a painful experience!

Re: Wishlist: multiple stave copy/paste

Reply #1
Not sure what you are requesting, but I think it's the same as my request:

... copy a section of measures across staves.

The problem with User Tools trying to accomplish this feature is the inability to iterate across the staves. In order to copy a cross section of measures (ex. meas. #15 - meas. #47) and then to paste them after a certain measure, would require the User Tool to keep track of each stave individually. Currently, it can't do that.

I have done this by hand at times, often making errors and going back and doing it again. These are some of the little things that would be nice to have added. Personally, I'd like to see more MIDI under-the-hood stuff available, but that's just me.

Reply #2
The best thing you can do at this moment is: use a workaround. It works like this. Suppose you want to move bars 101 through 110 after bar 40, for whatever reason. Do this:
Create a temporary Noteworthy-file with exactly the number of staves you need. Go back to the file you want to change.
Now go to bar 101, and highlight using Ctrl-Shift-Right to higlight one bar at the time. Count up to 10: you have now marked 10 bars. Press Shift-Delete. Insert this in the first empty staff in the temporary file. Repeat until all staves have been processed.
Now, go to bar 40, and reverse the process.
Using this method, the problem of terrible mis-alignment does not occur.
Would that help?

Reply #3
G'day MIDI man and Rob,
I know you guys have mentioned user tools that help but have expressed frustration with keeping track.

While I do sympathise, I think you have overlooked a feature of the user tool mechanism:
The ability to use a dialogue box and enter a persistent expression.

Andrews "Cut Copy And Paste Measures" user tool available here on the scripto http://nwc-scriptorium.org/nwc2scripts_ccp.html will allow you to consistently move bars on successive staves.

If you check out my "invocation instructions" http://nwc-scriptorium.org/ftp/nwc2scripts/invocationinstructions.pdf - method 1 (on page 5) shows how to set up a user tool so that a set of parameters can be "remembered" during a session.

After creating a "CCAPM (with dialogue)" tool in the list the sequence would be:

• Select first staff
  • <Alt-F8>
  • Select the CCAPM (with dialogue) tool and press <Enter>
  • Create the command sequence in the dialogue (E.G. cut 4 8 2 will cut bars 4 to 8 inclusive and paste them before bar 2)
  • <Enter> to execute the command
  • <Page-Dn> to go to the next staff
  • <Alt-F8> <Enter> <Enter> runs the tool - no editing is necessary as NWC "remembers" the last tool used and the commands in the dialogue box when you use this method.
  • Repeat steps 6 and 7 to the end of the work.
Assuming you got the command right in the first place this is pretty much foolproof.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
In the past, I've changed the note [abbr=I'm Canadian, eh?]colours[/abbr] for the section I plan to move, but I've always found it cumbersome.  I like both Rob's method and Lawrie's tool (although I haven't used the tools yet).  Lawrie's tool looks to be awesome.

Quick question, Lawrie, in page setup, you have the options of not numbering bars, or numbering from 1 or 0.  Does the tool work equally well in all three scenarios?

Reply #5
G'day David,
actually, the tool is Andrews work.  I couldn't cut code to save my life, but thanks for the compliment anyway... :)

As for bar numbering, turning it on or off is purely cosmetic.  It doesn't affect the operation of the CCAPM tool at all.

That being said, a couple of quotes from Andrews help file should help to clarify things:

NB: it is very handy to have Measure Numbers set to something in Page Setup - this of course helps you to know where you're up to when setting the operating parameters for the tool.

<first>, <final> and <destination> are all positive integers indicating the measure number [starting with 1] from the start of the selection, or from the start of the staff if no selection is made. So the first measure is 1. This corresponds to the default bar numbering starting at 1. It is suggested that if you have measure number starting at a number other than one, you change it back to one for the use of this tool

Hopefully that makes things clear.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
It does, thanks

Reply #7
Thanks for the input!  I'll put the CCAPM tool to work!