Skip to main content
Topic: Korg N364 General MIDI bank selection (Read 9903 times) previous topic - next topic

Korg N364 General MIDI bank selection

I browsed the Forum as well as the offline, archived messages of the Forum, and didn't find the answers I was looking for.

I have a Korg N364. I have managed to figure out that to select Banks A, B, C and D, I use controller 32 and set them to 0, 1, 2 and 3, respectively, and then set the instrument using Numeric, 0-based selection. That's fine.

But I do not know how to access the General MIDI bank from Noteworthy Composer.

Can anyone help me with this specific problem?

(I prefer a response by e-mail: alex_reyes@usa.net)

Re: Korg N364 General MIDI bank selection

Reply #1
Won't Bank A be the General Midi bank?

A

Reply #2
No, Bank A is Bank A; it is a bank unto itself, with 100 particular instruments/sounds.

The Korg N364 has banks A through D, and additionally a GM bank (separate and distinct from banks A to D).

Thanks for the reply, though.

Reply #3
My daughter has an older Korg, X5DR I think it's called. We couldn't find a way to put it into GM mode from any outside software, so she has to put it into that mode manually from the little front-panel buttons before using GM sounds.

Reply #4
Yes, that seems to be the only way I know how to do it now. But it would be nice if I could avoid having to manually set up the track programs; after all, that's the point of MIDI.

Thanks for the reply.

Reply #5
I'm not shure but I think that you have to change your program filter in global mode (page 3C) from "PROG:ENA" to "PROG:NUM."

Reply #6
Have you tried setting 4 as GM? or use the PC synth...

Reply #7
How to create our own bank.

Actually what is the meaning of patches in keyboard,  i can't understand.

Suppose, if a song have using STRING, PIANO, ACCORDIAN, ORGAN, FLUTE and etc. intruments using by keyborad players. And again some other song using BASS, PIPE ORGAN, TRUMPET and more. Like this there are many songs using different types of sounds through keyboard.

If I want that one song to arrange intrument (sound) in keyboard and save.
Then another song as like this many.

So on stage if any singer told me that he is singing that song. So, i can easily take out that song from saved portion from my keyboard.
And can I made my own BANK in my KORG N364. How to do this please let me know.
if i dont't want to overwrite the other programs can i made my own USER BANK AND UPTO HOW MANY INSTRUMENT I CAN USE IN ONE SONG, I KNOW THERE IS SOME LIMIT OF 8 OR 16 BUT WHERE NOT FOUNDING.

Reply #9
Alex, I'm using a Korg N5, which might have similar banks.  Here are the N5 numbers:

• GM-a 00:00
  • GM-b 56:00
  • r:CM 127:00
  • ySFX  64:00

• ProgU 80:00
  • ProgA 81:00
  • ProgB 82:00
  • ProgC 83:00

• CombU 88:00
  • CombA 89:00
  • CombB 90:00
  • CombC 91:00
Left number corresponds to Noteworthy's "0 controller", and the right number to the "32 controller".  There are heaps more, but these are the main Korg banks - the others are all Roland or Yamaha banks.

A thing to be aware of is that you don't actually need to have the correct patch names appearing when you change banks in Noteworthy.  So long as your numbers are correct, and your midi instrument can understand them, you'll get the correct sounds.

Another caution:  If selecting 0:0, make sure the "Select a bank patch" box is checked.  On the Korg N5, the bank remains at whatever it was last set, whether by midi or manually.  I suspect N364 might be the same.

Reply #10
I need to place different sounds on the keyboard at the same time.  Ex.  "G4-B5  Organ,  C6-A7  Flute,  B7-G8  Strings.

¡¡¡HELP!!!  primal_muse@yahoo.com

Reply #11
Try inserting insert instrument patches wherever you want the instrument to change. (Alt-Insert,Instrument)

If that doesn't work, try adding 2 layered staffs.  Copy everything from the first (source) to the other two.  Set a different instrument on each.  On each staff, select the notes that do not fit the instrument, and using Ctrl-E, make them invisible and muted.  You likely will need to use a different midi channel for each staff to get the different instruments.

Reply #12
Hey guys i have a question i just bought a korg n364 and my combinations wont play my prgrams do but not my combos anyone know why?

Reply #13
See my https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=854.msg23874#msg23874.  On the Instrument tab (either in Staff Properties - F2, or when inserting an instrument patch - I), you will see a box for MIDI Patch Instructions.

Make sure Send Bank Select is checked.  The value that goes in the MSB box is the left-hand value in my earlier post.  The LSB box gets the right-hand value (which is always zero).

The MSB values you need for the N364 might be different from the N5 values, but try experimenting with values from 0 to 127.  If they don't work, try 0 in MSB, and different values in LSB.