Skip to main content
Topic: Beam Highlight color (Read 6500 times) previous topic - next topic

Beam Highlight color

I really appreciate the updates in the new version (slurs, cres/dim) but was bummed out to discover that one of my pet peeves still exists: the beam on beamed notes does not accept the highlight color.  I use highlight color all the time for optional notes in salsa charts.  It is a small problem, but one that puzzles me as to why the beam itself would remain the default color.

Greg Smith

Re: Beam Highlight color

Reply #1
Yes - I use light grey for cued parts as my work-around for small notes.  The players have learned to live with black beams!

I think it happens because the beams are drawn as graphics, rather than being sourced from a font.

Reply #2
If you put your notes on a grey staff and layer it with a normal staff with hidden rests, I think you will get the effect you are looking for.

I could post an example in the newsgroup if you can access it.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Excellent!  The order of staves in the layer is important, but it doesn't take much to figure it out.

I've also been using colour for analysis - magenta, red, brown, and blue beams are now possible!!

Reply #5
Yeah, I've tried just about every suggestion going for cue notes.  Changing colour is the best compromise I could find - the players need the cue notes to look like real music too, so faking notes with fonts won't work - then need beaming.  Grace notes don't work, as the spacing has to be correct.

In my view, reading music shouldn't be a mind-bender!  When the notation gets in the way of the notes, there's something wrong.

I'm hoping that in the full release of NWC, scaling (i.e. reducing or expanding by a user-defined percentage) becomes a standard part of the edit box for all objects.  I'd love to see it on the Visibility tab.  "Oh, look!  Was that a flock of pigs?", he writes humourously, hoping that the NWC people won't take offence.