Skip to main content
Topic: Volume and stereo pan combinations (Read 4014 times) previous topic - next topic

Volume and stereo pan combinations

Hi, this is probably a simple midi arrangement question.  Could someone please suggest volume and stereo pan combinations for the following instruments playing together?

Lead guitar
Rhythm guitar
Bass
Synth String
Piano
Drums

Please note that I know how to use these settings.  But I am wondering if there are standard or recommended settings for similar combination of instruments.  For the sake of simplicity, let's assume that all the instruments are equally loud at the same volume setting.

Re: Volume and stereo pan combinations

Reply #1
I doubt there is any standard. Rock and roll seems to eschew them.

You might search the internet, or go to your local record store, and look at album covers to see how bands arrange themselves. IIRC, keyboards  seem to be on the left edge, bass on the right, drums in the center, with the lead guitar roaming across the front.

HTH

Note to Eric: you might want to add internet to your dictionary.
Registered user since 1996

Re: Volume and stereo pan combinations

Reply #2
Thanks Rick G.  You're quite right about rock eschewing conventions.  I'll probably study some midis of songs I like.  That should give me an idea.

I used to disregard the stereo pan settings until recently.  But its vastly improved the way my compositions sound...  So I'm hooked!