Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI through USB (Read 8491 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI through USB

Good Day,

I'm considering the purchase of a MIDI keyboard that interfaces through the USB port, and has no traditional DIN connector for MIDI.

I don't want to buy it and find it is incompatible with NW.  I've been a noteworthy owner since 1997, and the ability to key-in notes is what I'm after.

Does anyone have experience with USB MIDI?  Specifically, the keyboard is a Radio Shack LK-1500.

Thanks for the help!

Re: MIDI through USB

Reply #1
You should have no problem with that USB keyboard as long as the drivers that come with it support your computer's operating system.  NoteWorthy will detect it as an input device which you will select from Tools-Options, click the Record tab and select from the list after installing the driver.

Reply #2
What are the connections between the pins of the MIDI output of the keyboard and the miniature stereo jack connections of a Sound card?

I am contemplating connecting a keyboard and need to know this.

Tony

Reply #3
G'day Tony,
actually, there are no connections between MIDI and the audio input jacks of a sound card.

The 2 signal types are incompatible.

MIDI supplies information in digital form.  It is a series of commands that turns notes on and off, determines pitch, instrument selection and quite a number of other parameters.

On the other hand, the audio input of the sound card is expecting analogue information - in short, a direct sound signal.  Just like you might get from a microphone, or the "tape out" of your cassette recorder.

You simply cannot connect the 2 together an expect a useful result.

The conventional way to connect a MIDI keyboard is via the Game port - you need an appropriate cable (15 pin 'D' connector at one end and 2*5 pin DIN at the other) and drivers for the PC to recognise the game port as a MIDI interface.

Most sound cards come with a game port and appropriate software.  The cable usually needs to be purchased separately.

Another alternative is, of course, a USB to MIDI converter as has already been mentioned.  There are also serial to MIDI converters out there but I think the USB one would be better (easier) unless you don't have XP or '98 (Win2k and ME should be OK too).

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Lawrie,

Many thanks. I should have known about the incompatibilty of MIDI and audio - I can only claim old age as an excuse!.
Will now search for a MIDI -  game port cable..

Tony

Reply #5
Hi Tony,
mate, claim any excuse ya want - they're all good  :)

If you're so inclined, you could make your own cable - I did a bit of a search and found the following page - go to the bottom and you'll see the "good guts"... http://web.singnet.com.sg/~lau0cy/sb.htm - looks pretty straight forward and makes good sense.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
If you are looking to purchase a new MIDI interface, a USB MIDI device probably has the best chance of working for you now and into the future.

Many new computer systems come with audio components that are integrated on their motherboard that don't include MIDI interface support. RS232 serial interfaces are also disappearing from new computer systems.

See also:

faq #52: How do I set up to use a MIDI keyboard with NWC?