Skip to main content
Topic: Jaggy midi sound (Read 4224 times) previous topic - next topic

Jaggy midi sound

I installed a new surround sound MPU-401 card on my computer but I cannot make Noteworthy use it.  I have to revert to Microsoft GS Wavetable SW in the midi tab under Tools, Options.  My music sounds terrible now.  Can I work around this device so that I can get the sound coming from my sound card MPU-401?

Thanks.

Pierre

Re: Jaggy midi sound

Reply #1
G'day Pierre,
a couple of questions...
Do you have any other options in the midi tab? If so what are they?
What sound card did you actually install?

Ideally the sound card will have a hardware synth built in AND/OR it may have been supplied with a software synth.  If it has neither then you may be stuck with the MS synth unless you acquire another softsynth like the Yamaha S-XYG50 or some such.

IIRC the MPU-401 device allows midi though a game port so you can drive an external midi device via the appropriate cable.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Hi, Lawrie,

Thanks for the reply.  In the midi tab, I have MPU-401 and MicroSoft MIDI mapper.  Those are the devices available along with the MicroSoft GS Wavetable SW.  If I insert MPU-401 in the right window, there is no sound.  Same thing for the Midi mapper.

The sound card is a Cobra AW-850.  If all else fails, I may try the Yamaha S-XYG50.

Thanks.

Reply #3
G'day Pierre,
I've just visited the AOpen website.
http://usa.aopen.com/Products/sound/cobraaw850.htm
According to this page the synth is software.  As it hasn't shown up in the available device list Im guessing that it didn't install.

I think I'd check the install CD for an installer.  If you don't find anything useful perhaps you should visit the AOpen site and download the latest driver set.  It may contain the missing software.

On their forum there is this conversation: http://club.aopen.com.tw/forum/viewmessage.asp?forumID=24&MessageID=67515 - unfortunately there was no resolution listed...

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.