Skip to main content
Topic: Transpositions and selecting staves (Read 3201 times) previous topic - next topic

Transpositions and selecting staves

Hello,

I've looked through the help file, and was hoping maybe someone here would know the answer to my question.

Is there a way to select say, a bar of a staff and transpose that bar only without doing copy and paste ---> transpose staff?  I can't figure it out.

Is there also a way to select more than one staff and apply a given change or transposition to it?

Thank you.

Re: Transpositions and selecting staves

Reply #1
No. You can stop looking.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Not without changing the intervallic relationships, no. You can select a group of notes and slide them up (or down) the staff with <Ctrl><up (or down) arrow>, but some of the half steps will become whole steps and vice versa.

Reply #4
Is there a way to select say, a bar of a staff and transpose that bar only without doing copy and paste ---> transpose staff?  I can't figure it out.
You can create a new staff, copy or cut the part you want to transpose to it (also copy in the current key signature), do your transposition on the new staff, force accidentals, and copy it back to where you need it.  The new staff can be deleted when you are through with transpositions.
Since 1998

Reply #5
Thanks.  Yes, as I was saying, I surely know how to cut the section I would like to transpose, paste to a new staff, and transpose the staff.  That's what I think is quite cumbersome.  It would be a nice feature.

Please, please, please, design a feature that will allow me to select a portion of a staff and do a transposition on it so I don't need to create a new staff.  Perhaps that's being picky, but it seems like it ought to be a common feature.

I've used noteworthy pretty much since there was a noteworthy and I recommend and love the program, but that would be a really nice feature.

>>Not without changing the intervallic relationships, no. You can select a group of notes and slide them up (or down) the staff with <Ctrl><up (or down) arrow>, but some of the half steps will become whole steps and vice versa.<< - That might do the trick, thanks!

>>If you only want to do (what amounts to) a clef change,
that can be done for a staff or a selection.
Information available at:<< Interesting idea. Might be okay for strictly recording files, but I'd still have to transpose and fix the clef later or the musicians would be plotting a slow grueling death for me.

<<No. You can stop looking.>> - Agreed.
Thanks all!