Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI delay in recording? (Read 5062 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI delay in recording?

Playback is fine, but when I try to record via MIDI in NWC for notation purposes, the notes come out half a beat (i.e. an eighth note) behind what I play.  I'm playing right along with the time-base/rhythm-track basis.  Computer is an Athlon 1GHz with 256 MB, keyboard is a Korg N264.  Sound is the on-board AC97 (since my SB Live card went south on me recently) and MIDI is a Midiman USB interface (it says both Midisport and Uno - *shrug*).  Notation recording works fine in Cakewalk, but I very much prefer the appearance of scores in NWC.  I've checked latency settings and devices related to the sound card and MIDI interface with no improvement.  Ideas?
Thanks,
Dave

Re: MIDI delay in recording?

Reply #1
Welcome to the club, I have AC97 too and there is also a same kind of a delay.

Apparently NWC can't handle latencies as sophisticatedly as Cakewalk, which has some kind of a latency analyzer in it too.

Why don't you first record in Cakewalk and then import to NWC - though I know that NWC's importing accuracy isn't always quite good.

Reply #2
I was hoping to avoid the extra step, but oh well.....
Thanks for the info!

Reply #3
OTOH, now I'm wondering if the problem is with the AC97, which doesn't actually have a MIDI interface, or with the Midiman USB device that I use to MIDI to the computer...anybody have a thought?

Reply #4
Sorry for just bringing more info and not real solutions to the forum...but, I've got a decent spec (2.4 gig Pentium 4) PC with an AC97 too.I've just bought the midisport Uno and installed the Cakewalk Express app. I also use Pro Tools Free. I'm experiencing the same kind of delays as well... so if nothing else I'll confirm it's not your processing power thats the prob... I'll be having a bit more of a play with it this week, I'll let u know if I found out any more...

Reply #5
I was having a similar problem using a midiman gameport cable which I picked up several years ago.  In an attempt to remedy it I just bought a midisport 2x2.  Sadly the problem persists.  I'm still trying to figure things out.

Specs:
P3-933, 640mb ram, SB Live Value

Reply #6
The MIDISPORT 2x2 is an external MIDI interface, used to connect to external MIDI components. Generally speaking, external MIDI interfaces and components should not suffer from latency, as they are usually designed to be played in "real-time" by a musician/performer. Are you sure that you are actually using the MIDISPORT 2x2 when playing back?

Reply #7
Same problem here, guys.  Been working on it for two weeks.  Nothing.  Please someone help me!

Reply #8
Hey, if anyone is still interested in this thread...

I had exactly the same issues. I recently upgraded from Windows 98SE to Windows XP and bought a SoundBlaster 2 ZS and the whole issue is cleared up. Don't know which of the two changes has fixed this (or maybe both) but the whole thing works perfectly.