Skip to main content
Topic: uneven rythms (Read 3550 times) previous topic - next topic

uneven rythms

Can anyone try this for me to see if it works in NWC?  I tried it in Cakewalk and forget it.  Don't want to download NWC unless it does what I need.  I do Balkan rythms:  11/16, 9/8, 5/4, 7/8, etc.  These are dances, broken down into series of 2's and 3's, so the notation has to be broken out a certain way within each measure to read right for the feel of the rythm.  I need someone to try to write in 7/8 time using a dotted quarter followed by two quarters.  Cakewalk wouldn't do it without breaking the some of the quarters into tied eighths, which throws the reader off.  Plus, I couldn't get it to make a first and second ending, which Balkan dance uses endlessly.  I also have a piece that alternates every other measure between 11/16 and 9/8.  Is this possible in NWC?  Also, I've used odd notation for keys, such as two flats and one sharp, which is also useful for Balkan and MiddleEastern.  I don't suppose NWC will let you do that either...thanks for any advice--should I get NWC?

Re: uneven rythms

Reply #1
Too easy, 7/8, 11/16, help yourself, Bb Eb F#, too easy. Get Noteworthy.Its the best money you've ever spent.But don't take my word for it.Try the evaluation.

Reply #2
The mixed sharp and a flat is indeed a problem, but you could use a workaround. We have workaround-wizards who could help you with this one, maybe.
The tempo is no problem. I scored a song we sang in a musical that had a 7/8 rhythm. Easy as pie.

Reply #3
G'day all,
actually Rob, mixed key signatures are no problem - NWC allows for a user defined key signature...  It's the first option in the key signature dialogue...

Linda,
I add my recommendations to both llucyy and Rob, while no product is perfect, for the requirements you've listed you can't go wrong with NWC.

As Rob suggested, download the eval. from here: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/setup/eval-nwc175b.exe and try it!

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
One slightly negative word of warning.  Note that I love the program, but this might be a little bit of extra work.

I don't think that the automatic beaming function (to connect 1/8 notes -- quavers -- and smaller) will do the "right" thing with these time signatures.  At the moment (although it has been requested) you cannot ask for uneven groupings of notes within a measure.

With the new (version 2 beta) user tools it may be possible to put together a program which will beam notes as you want.  I have not ventured into the usertool pond yet, but there are some whizzes here that seem to be able to throw them together quickly.  One of the best, Andrew Purdum, is also a devotee of Balkan dances, so he is likely to have a good feel for the problem and the possibility of fixing it.

Hi, Andrew, don't you love it when someone passes a job off on you?

Cyril

Reply #5
Hi Linda,

Andrew Purdam has created a user tool to autobeam uneven metres for NWC2. It works very well in most cases.