Skip to main content
Topic: changing note size and configuration (Read 17584 times) previous topic - next topic

changing note size and configuration

Help

Is there any way of changeing the oval note to a round note?

Can you change the size of the note when printing?

Can you change the width of the Staff Lines when printing?

I'm trying to write music to be converted to a jpeg, and burned to VCD so the music will be shown on a 61" TV screen.  Hubby is legally blind and cannot read sheet music.

Also,

I have music written in C major for piano---am using it to play Bass Clarinet (B-flat) and Contra-Alto (EE-flat).  Am I correct in assuming that if the Bb plays in F Major, the Eb would play in C Major.

Will they then be playing the same note one octave apart? I know they won't be in concert pitch, but as they will only be played together, it won't make a difference.

Thank you for your time and trouble.
Have a happy day,
Pat Muller

Re: changing note size and configuration

Reply #1
Changing the oval note to a round note: I am not sure what you mean here... The shape of the notes is fixed. Do you mean all notes, or whole notes?

Changing the size of the note when printing and the width of the Staff Lines: you can alter the Staff size (File, Page Setup, Options; choose Staff size); this will surely help.

"I'm trying to write music to be converted to a jpeg, and burned to VCD so the music will be shown on a 61" TV screen. Hubby is legally blind and cannot read sheet music."
Well, now I finally know where the film title 'Legally Blonde'  came from... thank you!

As for you other questions: about concert pitch and Bb instruments and such, it is one of the most frequently asked questions on the forum. Try the FAQ's, please. As I am no expert in keys, I will leave this one to be answered to those who are. Rest assured that Noteworthy has all necessary possibilities built in.

Reply #2
Yes, if your Bb Bass Clarinet is playing in F major, your EEb Contralto Clarinet will be in C major.  Any concert pitch instrument will be in Eb major.

This might help for future problems:  sounding or concert key = written key + key of instrument  where sharps are positive and flats are negative.

So for this case,
  • concert key = F major + Bb major and = ?? major + Eb major.
  • concert key = -1 + -2 and = ?? major + -3
with simple algebra, ?? = 0, which is C major for your Eb instrument, and concert key = -3, which is Eb major.

Reply #3
As for the octave difference, if the EEb contralto is a perfect fifth higher then the Bb bass, they will sound in unison.  If you write the contralto a perfect fourth lower than the bass, it will sound an octave lower.

Reply #4
Oval note to round note: Not in NWC1.75, but yes in NWC2.

NWC2 has built-in capability to change to some other note head styles. "Round" is not one of the currently available choices. But you can make note heads invisible, then place a round dot of appropriate size where the note head should go.

This is not easy, since aligning the round head to its stem may be tricky. It is also very tedious, if there are a lot of notes. But it can be done.

The "NoteHedz" user font has some possibilities, and many of them are specially scaled for use within NWC2. It is at the Scriptorium.

Reply #5
Reply 1 by Rob den Heijer
Changing the size of the note when printing and the width of the Staff Lines: you can alter the Staff size (File, Page Setup, Options; choose Staff size); this will surely help.

Thank you Rob for your reply! Changing the staff size does help some.

"...  Hubby is legally blind and cannot read sheet music."
Well, now I finally know where the film title 'Legally Blonde' came from... thank you!

Guess you didn't understand the explaination:  First A person is considered LEGALLY blind when the best corrected visual acuity is 20/200, or the person's visual field is 20 degrees or less. It is not true that all blind persons have absolutely no sight; in fact, most blind persons have some remaining vision. A person may be considered blind when he/she can no longer drive safely, has difficulty reading a newspaper, or cannot see objects to the side.

Second: My husband can see the sheet music on the 61" TV. But in order to get it so it is viewable, I have to either copy it from the sheet music I have, or put the sheet music into noteworthy which lets me transpose it for the different instruments (noteworthy sheet music then needs to be converted to a jpeg).  In either case, I have to darken all the staff line, etc. in Windows paint, enlarge the sheet music about 250%, and increase the resolution, using LView Pro, then save as a jpeg. Now it's ready to burn the VCD and test on the TV to see if it's ledgible. All the notes in noteworthy are too small as an oval, so need they need to be enlarged.

-Thanks again Rob.
Have a happy day.

P.S. Wish I were a blond. :) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply #6
Reply 2 by Ewan Harwood
So for this case,
* concert key = F major + Bb major and = ?? major + Eb major.
* concert key = -1 + -2 and = ?? major + -3
with simple algebra, ?? = 0, which is C major for your Eb instrument, and concert key = -3, which is Eb major.

Thanks Ewan,
I'm saving your answer along with a few others,  so I can get some kind of a handle on what to do when transposing. This Forum has been of immense help for a newbie to music theory like myself.
Have a wonderful day.
Pat

Reply #7
Reply 3 by Ewan Harwood
As for the octave difference, if the EEb contralto is a perfect fifth higher then the Bb bass, they will sound in unison. If you write the contralto a perfect fourth lower than the bass, it will sound an octave lower.

Help! Sorry! I'm totally lost here. How do I do it?
Can you please explain this as you did in reply #2.
How can this be lower? (Don't know any other way to ask this question.)
Thanks again.
Have a happy,
Pat

Reply #8
Reply 4 by Robert A.

NWC2 has built-in capability to change to some other note head styles.    ... "NoteHedz" user font...at the Scriptorium.

Thanks Robert,
I will check this out.
One question though, which properties change the note size, and where is it found?
Thanks again for your input.
Have a wonderful day.
Pat

Reply #9
Ah,  Pat.  I think I see your problem - apologies if I'm wrong.  I'm guessing you are about to do this:

• Take the piano piece.
  • Change the key signature to F major and give it to the bass clarinet.
  • Then take the original piano piece, change the key signature to C major (or leave it where it is, as the original piece is in C), and hand it over to the contra alto clarinet.
If that's what you're doing, it will sound terribly wrong!  You need to transpose for one (or both) of the instruments.  I'd recommend doing both, so the piece still works with the piano.

Do this:
  • Insert a "C major key signature" at the beginning of the piece:  Press <HOME>, then <RIGHT> so that you are between the clef and the time signature.  Then <K> <C> <ENTER>.
  • Force accidentals:  <ALT> <T> <F>
  • Transpose:
    • For piano to bass clarinet: <ALT> <T> <T> 2
    • For piano to contralto clarinet: <ALT> <T> <T> 9
  • optional - to make play-back correct: Force accidentals and shift up an octave:  <ALT> <T> <F> <ALT> <T> <T> 12
The music might be too high.  For either instrument, highlight sections and <SHIFT-CONTROL-DOWN> seven times.  If it's [abbr=contra can go down to written E below middle C, and bass can go to Eb or sometimes lower]too low[/abbr], highlight and <SHIFT-CONTROL-UP> seven times.

If you'd prefer to transpose just one instrument, do this:
  • Insert a "C major key signature" at the beginning of the piece:  Press <HOME>, then <RIGHT> so that you are between the clef and the time signature.  Then <K> <C> <ENTER>.
  • Force accidentals:  <ALT> <T> <F>
  • Transpose:
    • If you want bass clarinet in C and contra alto to match: <ALT> <T> <T> 7  (This is the equivalent of transposing up a perfect fifth.)
    • Alternatively: <ALT> <T> <T> -5  (This is the equivalent of transposing down a perfect fourth.  The contra alto will sound an octave lower than the bass.)
    • If you want to leave the contra alto in C and make the bass in the correct equivalent key (F): <ALT> <T> <T> -7
If the music is too high or too low, alter as above.

Reply #10
The size of your staves (and paper) depend on some settings you find in the File | Page Setup  or  <ALT> <F> <G>

In the Options tab, you can adjust the Staff Size up to 40 points.

In the Margins tab you can adjust the margins.

In File | Printer Setup,  or <ALT> <F> <U> you should be able to adjust the paper size, so that you have larger paper.

I'm guessing you'll need to play around with a combination that saves to a good JPEG.

Or maybe another forum reader has a better answer!

Reply #11
Pat,

Yes, I guessed at the definition of 'legally blind', and I guessed right. I looked it up, and my guess was confirmed, and completed with the percentage. I know someone with severe tunnen sight, who falls well within this percentage, but still manages to get around - but with a stick.

I wonder how many Americans will understand 'hubby' ! (This time, I can not guess at the percentage)

cheers,
Rob.

Reply #12
See if I can take a stab at explaining the need for transposition.  Once you know the reason and the rules, it becomes easy.

When a Bb instrument plays its C, that is the same sound as the piano's Bb.  When an Eb instrument plays its C, the piano would play Eb.

A written middle C on soprano clarinet would equal the Bb on piano just below middle C.  A written middle C for bass clarinet would play the Bb on the second line of the bass clef on the piano.

A written middle C on the alto clarinet would be, for piano, the Eb that is in the third space of the bass clef.  For contra-alto clarinet, the written middle C would sound like the flattened E on the first leger line below the bass clef.

Usually doubling up a letter, as in EEb, means the instrument is bigger, and plays an octave lower that an instrument with only one letter.  Contra generally indicates an instrument that plays an octave down, too.

An Eb alto clarinet and an alto sax play at the same pitch.  That is 9 semitones lower than what is written on the paper.  To transpose the piano music, you then have to have a key signature (just insert C major at the beginning), then Alt-Tools/Transpose +9.

The contralto plays an octave lower, or 21 semitones below what is written.  You have to transpose in two steps due to the limitations of the program, but it's still very fast to do.  The first is +12, the second is +9.

The bass clarinet plays an octave lower than the clarinet.  You have to drag the written music up 14 semitones, but you have to do it in 2 stages, 12 + 2.

Ewan wrote
Transpose:
For piano to bass clarinet: <ALT> <T> <T> 2
and gave an extra step after.  Just do <ALT> <T> <T> 2 <enter><ALT> <T> <T> 12.

Where he wrote
Transpose:
For piano to contralto clarinet: <ALT> <T> <T> 9

just add the extra step of +12.

I don't agree with Ewan that the extra octave is optional.

The idea is to write the music higher because these low voiced instruments play an octave and some interval below the written pitch.  You need to "drag" the written pitch upward so the player matches the piano pitch.

The key signature of the Eb instrument will always be one more sharp or one less flat than a Bb instrument.

From concert pitch, the Bb instrument should have 2 less flats or 2 more sharps than the piano; the Eb instruments will be 3 less flats or 3 more sharps than the piano.

One other minor change to Ewan's instructions:  If you want the bass clarinet part to be in its C major, you need to transpose the alto/contralto parts but you must also transpose the piano part if it's going to be played at the same time as the 2 winds.

Sorry if I'm repeating anything - it's getting late and I'm too tired to check back.  Good night and good luck.

Reply #13
David is completely correct in saying that the extra octave is not optional, if you want the transposed part to sound exactly the same as the piano part.

I'm afraid I jumped an explanation of why I (implicitly?)suggested omitting the last octave, and also suggested moving sections up or down an octave.

It's because instruments, including voice, have a [abbr=this is a fancy way of saying "range"]tessitura[/abbr] where they sound best.  Above that range they sound "high", and below it they sound "low".  So when writing/arranging/transposing for the instrument, you might need to consider where the notes are in relation to the tessitura.  Generally it's best to stay within the good-sounding area.

As a very, very general rule of thumb, if you stay within the staff for the instrument in its transposed key, and its usual clef, you'll be okay.  There are obvious exceptions, such as piccolo, which commonly plays into the leger lines, and piano, which has an exceptionally large tessitura.  Other instruments use different parts of their ranges for different effects - clarinet is one.

So when converting piano music to two low clarinets, I'd forget about going the extra octave.  It's likely to make the parts very high on both instruments, and will be well above their tessitura, which is generally the lowest octave-and-a-bit for low clarinets.

This tessitura business is why a tenor sounds high when singing in unison with an alto.  To get them sounding "the same", it's better to write for tenor and soprano, an octave apart!

Reply #14
Hi Ewan, Rob, David,
You guy's are fantastic. Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I am Much impressed by your knowledge and willingness to share. You've all helped me to better understand what I'm doing and why.  You're a great bunch of guys, and I couldn't be more pleased with what I've learned from you all.
Have a wonderful day guys, I'm going to get back to the music with lightbulbs going off in my head as I can now see some of what you've all explained to me.
Happy days.
Pat

Reply #15
You know, you can get a "scan-converter" and play the NWC straight onto the TV from the PC and even make a video if you want.I know because I have used it as a teaching aid.

Reply #16
I agree.
You guys are fantastic.

Reply #17
Yeah I'd agree that you should get a converter to connect your TV right the computer.  Not only will NWC let you blow up the music as much as you need on screen, but you'll save the tedius step of converting to DVD each time.  One of the aforementioned "scan converters" is Froogle priced at $139.95.

Now tell me, I'm used to seeing those boxes where you plug computer to unit on one port, unit to monitor on another port, and unit to tv on the third port.  Have these been replaced by these "scan converter" cards?
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #18
A further search on froogle reveals that most of them are the boxes that i'm used to. I guess I've just never learned the technical term, though it makes perfect sense to me now.  And it looks like you can get them for as low as $81.69.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #19
You could even check your video card.  Many modern ones have an [abbr=Small round connector about the size of your PS/2 mouse/keyboard connector but with the pins in different locations.  Usually with a yellow colour associated with it somewhere]S-video[/abbr] port built in so you could connect directly!

More info on S-video here
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #20
[abbr=as in, why didn't I think of that?]Ah right you are, sir![/abbr]  S-video ports look exactly the same as ADB ports, if you've ever heard of those.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #21
S-video ports look exactly the same as ADB ports, if you've ever heard of those. - I hadn't, but I looked it up... - Don't do a lot with macs...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.