Skip to main content
Topic: bass clef troubles (Read 4269 times) previous topic - next topic

bass clef troubles

Recently, I have been working on putting a score on NWC. I want the score on NWC to sound exactly like it would sound on an insturment in terms of pitch ,so I have written all the parts in c. However, I dont know what to do on Bass clef. How would I transpose (if needed) the trombone and tuba parts that are written in bass clef to sound exactly like the part on the music. Any help would be apreciated.

Re: bass clef troubles

Reply #1
There are no rules with regard to posting in both forums... or are there? Anyway, one will do.

Reply #2
Unlike trumpet and French horn, trombone does not transpose.  Tuba parts sound an octave lower than written. (no?)  So write the trombone part at actual pitch in bass clef.  Write the tuba part in bass clef, hit F2 to bring up Staff Properties.  Click on the MIDI tab and set Transposition to -12 to lower the pitch an octave from the written notes.

Reply #3
"Tuba parts sound an octave lower than written. (no?)"

Either you are mistaken, or all my orchestral notations are wrong <g>
In all the scores I have, the tuba and bass trombone are written on the same staff. The tuba is usually (but not always) written an octave lower. So yes, the tuba is (usually) an octave lower but written that way - not transposed.

Tina

Reply #4
Hmmm I don't remeber posting this, I may have to change my name

Reply #5
Ah, it figures. It did not sound a bit like you.