Skip to main content
Topic: *Ping* Peter Edwards (Read 7011 times) previous topic - next topic

*Ping* Peter Edwards

Hi Peter,
it just occurred to me...  Have you submitted your user tools to the scriptorium?

If not I encourage you to do so.  The "central repository" it provides should ensure the widest exposure for your efforts and I know there are many who will appreciate them.

Lawrie

Re: *Ping* Peter Edwards

Reply #1
Peter,

I wanted to ask you how many tools you have written?
How do you find wscript's dialog building?

A

Reply #2
And I also encourage you to add any tools you've written to the scriptorium.
Some documentation along the lines of my example below would be helpful. Then the tool can be fully integrated into the scripts web page.

Ranges
Author:    Andrew Purdam. Comments to noteworthy.nwcbeta newsgroup. (or NWC2 forum, whatever)
Download:    v1.1.2 2/12/04
Briefly:    Return the note ranges in a selection.
Usage:    php ranges.php [separate]
Parameters:
separate is an optional keyword. If this parameter is present, will return the range as two separate whole notes, otherwise return a two-note chord of whole notes.
Comments:    Useful for evaluating ranges of vocal and instrumental parts, esp. when composing or arranging.
Ignores clef changes and enharmonic spellings
History:    1.1.2 Added message for no notes in selection

Reply #3
Thanks for noticing my little efforts. Really there's only the one user tool which I then hacked to produce a slightly different function, and I have another which produces in-line tremolos (beamed minims which actually play!) but that needs a few tweaks before it sees the light of day.

I'm put off submitting anything to the Scriptorium since it specifically says it's a PHP shop, and the installation is slightly different under WScript.

The dialogue function is pretty basic. You have an InputBox function which will prompt for user input, and consists of a Prompt (which can be multi-line) and a Default Value. I imagine you could build something quite sophisticated on a step by step basis, but there's no multi-choice mechanism available.

My next project is an Enharmonize tool which will take the accidentals assumed by NWC and convert them to a better guess. So in the key of G a note is much more likely to be a Bb than an A# for instance. There's a small problem however since the data available to the user tool is totally context free – there's no indication of current clef or key (or time) signature.

Reply #4
Hi Peter,
I'm put off submitting anything to the Scriptorium since it specifically says it's a PHP shop, and the installation is slightly different under WScript.

I know there is a bias toward php but does it actually specify php?  (I can't check at the moment as I cannot access the scriptorium site - perhaps it's temporarily down).  In any case I wouldn't let it put me off.

The first user tools were actually produced in perl and Andrew Purdham provided a link to a runtime perl interpreter to use them.  It was only later that php came to the fore.  I don't recall how the change came about but that was when Eric provided the first user tools "toolkit" which included the php interpreter and nwc library file we are now using.

Your work in WScript will be just as acceptable.  Simply provide appropriate instructions for installation and use as is required of all the other tools.

WScript actually has the advantage of not needing it's interpreter to be installed before you can start using the first one...

So please, when you are happy with them, do submit your user tools to the scriptorium.

Lawrie

Reply #5
WScript actually has the advantage of not needing it's interpreter to be installed before you can start using the first one...

I think Windows 98SE might need to install something from microsoft.com, though it may be quietly installed in one of the upgrades, I'm not sure.

What I really like about wscript is the dialog possibilities.
That could really help with the interface.
I'm sorry if I gave the impression that the Scripto is PHP only. I'm happy to receive anything that is scripted (for transparency) and documented (the more the better - see my tutorials for examples)

Reply #6
Hey Peter,
in https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5028.msg31528#msg31528 you said: ...and I have another which produces in-line tremolos [beamed minims which actually play!] but that needs a few tweaks before it sees the light of day.

I was wondering how this was shaping up?  Is is ready for publication yet?

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.