Skip to main content
Topic: RestChord problem with: &Tools->Audit &Note Stems (Read 8140 times) previous topic - next topic

RestChord problem with: &Tools->Audit &Note Stems

If I enter:
Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-5
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-5
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
into a blank staff and then invoke: &Tools->Audit &Note Stems
the first note gets flipped up. This only happens when the note has a negative position.

Oddly, if I set the rest position to -2 thru -15, before I add the note, a note stem audit will not flip the note.

Is this a feature or a bug? Please advise.
Registered user since 1996

Re: RestChord problem with: &Tools->Audit &Note Stems

Reply #1
Not sure what the difference is, but when I pasted your sample clip onto the staff, then audited note stems, both of them flipped upon my machine.  Are you running the latest version of the NWC2 Preview?

John

Reply #2
Both flipped for me too.  No time just now to play around with the other part of the question, maybe this evening...

Reply #3
It works for me also.  If you want the rests above the up-stem notes, insert the rest(s) first with the stems down then insert the stem-up note(s) using the CNTRL-ENTER method.

|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Down,ArticulationsOnStem,VertOffset=14|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-3
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Down,ArticulationsOnStem,VertOffset=14|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-3

Reply #4
Ooooopppppssss, I forgot to tell you to block the rests and move the up to about +14.  Sorry

Reply #5
I'm using ver 1i.
I guess I was not clear enough. IMO, Audit note stems should not flip a RestChord. I have found a solution. A grace RestChord tied to a note or RestChord will produce the desired display and play properly (except for very short notes)
Example:
|RestChord|Dur:8th,Grace|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-3^|Visibility:Never
|RestChord|Dur:4th|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-3
|RestChord|Dur:8th,Grace|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th|Pos2:3^|Visibility:Never
|RestChord|Dur:4th|Opts:Stem=Down,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:4th|Pos2:3
|RestChord|Dur:8th,Grace|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-3^|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Down
|RestChord|Dur:8th,Grace|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:3^|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up
N. B. the grace rest must be shorter than the attached note(s). This will affect notes thru the duration of the note in the grace RestChord. A bar line will reset to the usual behavior.

This is a complete enough solution for my needs. Thanks to all who have responded.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
Even nastier is this:

|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem,VertOffset=4|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-5
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem,VertOffset=4|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-5
If you audit the note stems the rests get lost behind the notes!  It seems that auditing note stems does the stem flip first based on the position of the note head and then tries to put the rest in the right place, but sometimes makes a hash of it.  Whereas it might be better to assume that if the stem is down with a rest above it (or vice-versa) then that is what the user intended and the stem flip is not needed.

Stephen

Reply #7
We are looking into this.

Reply #8
This will be fixed in Preview 1n. When auditing note stems, RestChords will now have their stems reset consistent with the defaults used by the program when you first create a RestChord without pre-assigning a stem direction to the rest.