Skip to main content
Topic: staff (Read 2576 times) previous topic - next topic

staff

A newbe question: On my screen the first staff seems to run on almost forever. How can I "break" a staff into a new line (sorry if I don't use the right words, I'm German).

Re: staff

Reply #1
The short answer is:  you cannot.

Some notation software gives you a "score view" of the piece you are trying to edit or transcribe.  NoteWorthy does it all on a continuous line.  It let's you add as many staffs as you need, but you edit them all from left to right, with no breaks.  If you want to see what it looks like on the page, just press the "print preview" button.  You may have to adjust your page setup every so often, however, to get the desired results.

I find this to be a great tradeoff for editing speed versus performance, as well as onscreen readability.  If NWC drew the whole page, it would be very graphics intensive, and as your score grew in complexity, it would suffer in performance by having to possibly continually redrawing all the elements.  And think about having to flip back and forth editing between the last measure on one page and the first measure on the next page.  Also, what if you have 20 or 30 staves on the page.  A full page view would be very hard to read on the screen, and if you use magnification of a particular section, NWC would have to keep track of all that and adjust the graphics (at least that's what I remember from previous discussions on this topic) continually.

The way NWC handles it allows for super fast editing, but full screen view is only a "print preview" click away.

John

Reply #2
Don't worry about the language thing, Jan.
Es gibt hier auch welche die ein bisschen Deutsch reden können... but since most of the forum language is in English, please use English. So be happy and make a few mistakes, just as I do when I write German ;-)
Rob.

Reply #3
When you WRITE or EDIT the music, it looks like this:
=============================
=============================

But when you PRINT PREVIEW or PRINT, it looks like this:
=====
=====

=====
=====

=====
=====

The breaks are calculated automatically by NWC, depending on your page size, page margins, and (sometimes) printer driver software.

You can also use "force system break" (property of measure bar) to change the calculation.