Skip to main content
Topic: Playback Doesn't Match Performance (Read 2117 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback Doesn't Match Performance

I'm new at this NWC software. I have a Yamaha P-60, WinXP computer and the midi interface. I've learned to record but the playback doesn't sound like what I just performed. It's very jerky and jumpy. I haven't yet mastered all the settings and options but I could use a little help from some of you pros out there. I've looked through The Forum for about a half-hour and can't seem to find any answers.  Thanks

Re: Playback Doesn't Match Performance

Reply #1
Keep in mind that NWC is a sheet music program with MIDI capabilities, not a dedicated MIDI sequencer.

A live performance can issue MIDI commands every 1/1000 second (?). But with a reasonably quick beat of 1/4 note = 180 per minute, on sheet music a 1/64 note would be about 21/1000 second.

So, sheet music dense with 1/64 notes would still be 21 times as "jerky" as a live performance could be. In fact, sheet music rarely shows notes of such short duration unless it is necessary to squeeze a lot of notes in. Actual duration of notes, as performed, is always slightly different than the nominal duration shown by the printed note.

Setting the note quantization to a more reasonable 1/32 (or even 1/16 for vocal), would make the sheet music even more "jerky" compared to live input.

On the other hand, a dedicated sequencing program is optimized for live music, rather than sheet music. Such programs are comfortable with quantization down to the 1/1000 second.

Others with more experience might offer better advice than I can offer.

Re: Playback Doesn't Match Performance

Reply #2
When capturing live recording (see faq #53), NWC will convert what you play into notation using the options specific in Tools, Options, Import. For best results, you should still add things like dynamics, phrasing, accents, etc. that matches your desired performance.