Skip to main content
Topic: Pitch Bends (Read 11314 times) previous topic - next topic

Pitch Bends

This doesn't work all of the time, but if you place a 'Data Entry MSB' controller right before a 'Pitch Bend' controller, you can extend the pitch up to the highest pitch possible on NWC, and down to the lowest.

Re: Pitch Bends

Reply #1
Hi Matthew,
this sounds veerryyy interesting...  More information please.

Lawrie

Reply #2
I wholeheartedly agree: this could be very interesting!
You just won the Noteworthy Prize for inventiveness (sorry, there isn't one - but I would award it to you today if I could)

On tenterhooks!

Reply #3
OK, I'll bite,
Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.  I have little or no knowledge of midi.

Now, as near as I can see (been doin' some research) we need to be able to specify values for controller 100 (RPN LSB) and 101 (RPN MSB) in order to adjust the range of the Pitch Bend controller.  (RPN = Realtime Paramater Number)

According to what I'm reading we set controller 100 to 0, controller 101 to 0 and controller 6 (Data Entry MSB) to the pitch bend range required in semitones: 0 to 18 (hex) for 0 to 24 semitones, 2 being the default.

We also probably need to do an RPN reset (value 127) to both controller 100 and 101 afterwards.

Now, the dilemma:
a) I can't see any way in NWC or NWC2 to adjust controllers 100 and 101.

b) The range of the Data Entry MSB controller is 0 to 127.  What happens if we attempt to adjust outside the 0 to 24 range?

All this assumes that our synth (in my case an Audigy 2) implements these controllers.

I've done some playing and haven't got anywhere, hence this post instead of one that has me gloating.

Matthew, anyone, please help... have I missed something (please say yes)?  Matthew, from your comment it seems that you have had it work somehow.  Can you enlighten us?

Or do we need to plead for additional MPC controllers (100 and 101)?

If this is the case, how hard would they be to implement?

Do we need anything else?

Lawrie

Reply #4
Lawrie said:-
"According to what I'm reading we set controller 100 to 0, controller 101 to 0 and controller 6 (Data Entry MSB) to the pitch bend range required in semitones: 0 to 18 (hex) for 0 to 24 semitones, 2 being the default."

Your right on track.

The Registered Parameter Number is a 14 bit number right justified.
Bits 0-6 are sent to the Fine controller (CC100).
Bits 7-13 to the Coarse controller (CC101).

On your creative card you probably only have 3 RPN's.
Pitch Bend Range (0)
Master Fine Tuning in Cents (1)
Master Coarse Tuning in Semitones (2)

So in all cases you would send 0 to CC101.
For Pitch Bend send 0 to CC100.
For Master Fine Tuning send 1 to CC100.
For Master Coarse  Tuning send 2 to CC100.

You only need to reset CC100 and CC101 with 127 if you want to prevent any other Data Entry, Increment, Decrement from affecting the Selected RPN - you would do this after sending the required data.

It's probably a good idea to repeat the Pitch Bend RPN to set the value back to the default when you are complete.

"a) I can't see any way in NWC or NWC2 to adjust controllers 100 and 101."

I can't either!

"b) The range of the Data Entry MSB controller is 0 to 127. What happens if we attempt to adjust outside the 0 to 24 range?"

Well I've tested this on an AWE32 up to 48 and it increases the Pitch Bend range  to 4 octaves above and 4 octaves below the 0 pitch bend level which would be enough for most cases..
Maybe you can use any value until you exceed the maximum frequency of your sound card.

Prior to this test I always thought that an octave above and an octave below (12 in CC6) was the maximum - so you've taught me something - thanks.

Have you tried playing with the Vibrato Range and Vibrato Frequency or tried producing a Wow-Wow effect with the Audigy?
You will need a sequencer to do this I think.

Have fun Lawrie! (and thanks for extending my Pitch Bend Range)

Reply #5
Such fun - I'll try this at home. Did anyone post this in the newsgroup yet?

Reply #6
-
Thanks Barry! Will try it ASAP. *thumbs up*
-

Reply #7
G'day Barry,

So in all cases you would send 0 to CC101.
For Pitch Bend send 0 to CC100.
For Master Fine Tuning send 1 to CC100.
For Master Coarse  Tuning send 2 to CC100.

I was working on using just Pitch Bend Range (CC100 = 0).  How would Master Coarse Tuning (CC100 = 2) influence it.  Is this a "0" pitch adjustment?

You only need to reset CC100 and CC101 with 127 if you want to prevent any other Data Entry, Increment, Decrement from affecting the Selected RPN - you would do this after sending the required data.

That was my intent.  Y'know, reset everything when you've finished with it to prevent unexpected things happening.

It's probably a good idea to repeat the Pitch Bend RPN to set the value back to the default when you are complete.

Yup.

a] I can't see any way in NWC or NWC2 to adjust controllers 100 and 101.

I can't either!

This calls for a (bunch of) plea(s) to the wishlist I think...

b] The range of the Data Entry MSB controller is 0 to 127. What happens if we attempt to adjust outside the 0 to 24 range?

Well I've tested this on an AWE32 up to 48 and it increases the Pitch Bend range  to 4 octaves above and 4 octaves below the 0 pitch bend level which would be enough for most cases..

AWEsome  :)

Prior to this test I always thought that an octave above and an octave below [12 in CC6] was the maximum - so you've taught me something - thanks.

You are most welcome.

Have you tried playing with the Vibrato Range and Vibrato Frequency or tried producing a Wow-Wow effect with the Audigy?
You will need a sequencer to do this I think.

No, I haven't.  Actually, the only thing resembling a sequencer I have is NWC...

Have fun Lawrie! [and thanks for extending my Pitch Bend Range]

I will, and it was my pleasure...

Lawrie

Reply #8
I have an SBLive, and a DataMSB controller followed by a pitchbend controller (which I think is what you mean) didn't do anything different. :-(

Reply #9
I agree that being able to set global pitchbend range would be the best solution here.

Reply #10
Master Fine Tuning in Cents
Master Coarse Tuning in Semitones

I haven't played with these.
I believe they are Channel based.

Master Fine Tuning - Send 1 to CC100 and 0 to CC101
The data value is a 14 bit number and uses both the Coarse Data Entry CC6 and Fine Data Entry CC38.
Bit 0-6 are entered in CC38 and bits 7-13 are entered in CC6.
(Right justified - bit 7 clear).
A440 tuning is represented by a data value of 8192 (2000Hex).
(Enter 64 in CC6 and 0 in CC38) - [Can you see why?]

Master Coarse Tuning - Send 2 to CC100 and 0 to CC101
This uses the Coarse Data Entry only (CC6).
Send 0 to CC38.
A440 tuning is set with 64 in CC6.
Range 40 to 88 (Two octave range above and below in semitones)

This RPN is like a transposition - I guess it could be useful on a keyboard device if you wanted to play in C while the vocalist sang in Db - something like the Irving Berlin piano !

Perhaps if someone tries this they could get back here and let me know if the effect is channel based or global.
You should also try playing with the NRPN values on your card for more interesting effects as mentioned above.

Reply #11
Hi Andrew; Barry and Matthew (and everyone else too of course),

Andrew said - I have an SBLive, and a DataMSB controller followed by a pitchbend controller [which I think is what you mean] didn't do anything different.

Thats the way I read Matthew's post too but when it didn't work I looked for reasons.  Hence the discussion re: PRN controllers (CC100 and CC101).

He states that "it doesn't always work" so perhaps he sometimes uses some other sequencer or plays a midi file that doesn't reset these controllers and then when the Data Entry MSB is set in NWC it can affect the Pitch Bend Range because of the left over settings for CC100 and CC101.  Pure speculation of course.

Matthew, if I've got it wrong, please let me know.

I really need more time to play with these things outside of NWC (grumble).

I really, really want to do this _inside_ NWC.

Lawrie