Skip to main content
Topic: Changing mapping on midi input for echo? (Read 2509 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing mapping on midi input for echo?

I've searched and searched, so if I'm missing a post, forgive me.

I'm evaluating NWC, and really like what I see.  I use it to practice piano with accompaniment by muting the piano staffs.  I'm not recording the input, just playing along.

I was able to get NWC to echo the piano from my midi keyboard thru the program successfully, but in some cases I want to play a synth or a different type of piano.  I can't seem to be able to modify the mapping of my MIDI input for echo purposes.  I can change a staff's instrument and record to it, but that doesn't help me during real-time playing.

Any suggestions?  I hope this is clear as mud.

TIA

Chris

Re: Changing mapping on midi input for echo?

Reply #1
Well, I think I answered my own question.  I was looking on the wrong end of things!

I didn't find my answer in NWC, I found that changing the instrument on the MIDI keyboard changed the instrument NWC echoed.  Problem solved.

Here's hoping this helps someone else.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Changing mapping on midi input for echo?

Reply #2
Yes, this is the answer. When using the MIDI echo feature, the easiest way to change the echoed MIDI instrument is by using the patch change function of the MIDI keyboard.

If the MIDI keyboard does not have such a function (pretty rare), you could also:

• create a temp staff using the same echoed MIDI channel

• insert a patch change in the staff

• press play on that staff, which updates the instrument patch for that MIDI channel

• delete the temp staff, unless you want to re-use it