Skip to main content
Topic: MPC: The Pitch Bend Tutorial (Read 2931 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC: The Pitch Bend Tutorial

Would the experts of MPC out there please help me understand how to use pitch bend. I have struggled with this feature for hours and can't understand the correct way to use it.

Here is a simple staff to start off with as an example. There are 3 different types I need to learn how to do.

Would someone that really has mastered this feature please provide the instructions and example.

Thanks in advance!!

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Rest|Dur:Half
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:Whole
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-6
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:Whole
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-6
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Rest|Dur:Half
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Re: MPC: The Pitch Bend Tutorial

Reply #1
-
What exactly do you want to use the pitch bend function for? Let us know it first. If you wish to apply slides/glissandi using it, the usage is simple. If what's in your mind is retuning your piece, then, although the basics are similar, you will need to do more work.

The basic principle goes likes this: A pitch bend controller simply changes the frequency of the note it is applied by values of 8192, which is one tone in the MIDI standard. The "initial" value in the controller dialogue sets that. The settings 2, 3 and 4 set the values of the same note (or following ones) according to the duration set by the "time resolution".

"Absolute" makes the controller work in "steps" as in a piano or harp glissando, while "linear sweep" enables a sliding as in a bowed/wind instrument or voice.

Example:

See the image:

http://www.piratescrossroads.com/~hbarbarossa/misc/pitch_bend.jpg
(will be removed after a while)

The controller sets an initial value of -8192 (whole tone) to the following note. After one quarter note worth time passes, it switches to -2731 and so on. Finally, the note ends a whole tone higher than its written value.

For a sweep effect, change "absolute" to "linear sweep".

Hth!
_

Reply #2
What I want to do is a "slide/gliassando"

While all you wrote makes sense, I still can't get the feature to work without it sounding funny or strange behavior.

A working example that I can see, touch, feel and hear would be great.

An example of a full octave keyboard slide starting at middle C is what I'm looking for here.

Thanks!

Reply #3
Hi MIDI Man

The pitch bend MPC only has a limited range +/- 1 tone from memory.

Check out Fred Nachbaurs Gliss Example for an example.

This method uses both pitch bend MPCs and volume MPCs.

He has used hidden staves to achieve the effect so you will need to look at them.

I hope this is helpful,
Lawrie