Skip to main content
Topic: When will NWC2 be released (Read 6491 times) previous topic - next topic

When will NWC2 be released

I am confused about what is expected in terms of release time for this new version. I do not mean the preview, I mean the real thing. It would be good to know.

Thanks

Carlos

Re: When will NWC2 be released

Reply #1
It will be released the day after I install the preview version.
Whenever that happens to be.
I been waitin' for a looooonnnnnggggg time now.
I'll probably break down in a month or so...

Reply #2
Does it mattter?  Are there problems with the preview version?

Reply #3
I always have problems with preview versions, web updates, and the like, so I wait until the "real" version comes out.
Don't know why it always happens...

Reply #4
This installation is almost seamless, and it's very quick.  The only ones who've complained are those who have XP, and it seems the problems are easily resolved.

Reply #5
Well, the only problem for me is that I din't have the package which the NWC CD came in...I generally don't keep packaging unless it's boxes etc. So will the final version (not preview) need the packaging for people to be able to use it?

Thanks

Reply #6
We are not aware of any current installer issues with NWC2. The was an NWC1/NWC2 launcher issue with Windows XP SP2, but did not require any changes to the NWC2 installer. Changes were made to the NWC2 Viewer and its installer.

As for NWC2 Preview eligibility and availability, this is explained at:

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/

Reply #7
Ahhh, okay, thank you. Can't wait for version 2 final version to come out!

Reply #8
Hi, Mike -

I may be wrong, but I think you probably need to read between the lines here (especially Eric's post).  If you've read most of the recent postings,  you will find that NWC Version 2 Public Preview is pretty stable, and the ongoing testing is just to ensure that it works perfectly (they're not rushing it to market just because the advertising department promised it by a certain date).  That being said, why don't you just take the plunge now and start benefiting from Version 2.  Read the link that Eric posted.  It has all the details, including the fact that Version 2 will be offered free for those already registered with the qualifying version.  If you don't have your CD sleeve or jewel case (with your registration information on it), you can order another for $15, as long as you are already previously registered with NWC (which, if you ordered originally from Noteworthy Software, you will be).  That then allows you to download the Version 2 preview and start using it today and keep using it when the final (well, released) version comes out..

Don't wait; join the club now.  Everyone (well, almost everyone) posting on the NWC2 forum is using the new version.

Hope this helps,

John

Reply #9
Well to be fair...I'm not desperate enough to splash out $15 with a CD that I've already got...although I'm not sure if It's registered properly. I've got the proper disk though and NWC is registered properly, when NWC2 Final comes out can I use the CD to update my version? I think that it's a pretty silly idea to buy another CD when I've got a perfectly fine CD and I'm quite happy with NWC1. Thanks anyway.

Mike

Reply #10
Mike, as I see it, as a registered NWC1 user, you can either A shell out an extra $15 now for the "trial", then get the official NWC2 free when it's released, or B you can wait and shell out the full cost of the official NWC2.

I bet option B will cost at least $15.  And... once the official NWC2 is released, option A won't be available.

I went with option A about nine months ago.  I use Win-XP.  I have had no trouble whatsoever with the NWC2 preview.  I've even removed my NWC1 shortcuts, eventhough I still have it on my system, and could still use it if I wanted to.

Reply #11
So are you saying that if I want to use NWC2 then i'll have to buy it and I won't be able to upgrade from version 1? Well if that's the case then i'll just stick with NWC1.

Reply #12
Yes, sadly for us, we do have to spend some money to get NWC2.  This is fairly standard for most commercial software, but not always for shareware.  In this case thought the quality is so high that I think it's well worth the price.

... and to be fair to NWC, they only ever stated that we could get free upgrades of NWC 1.X.  Unless I'm counting my downloads wrongly, I've have at least 25 upgrades just for version 1.  I think I well and truly got my $US39 worth!

Sure, you can stick with NWC1, but you'll find fewer and fewer people with you for support, and you'll be missing the useful new features found in the latest version.  NWC isn't at all perfect yet, and there's a lot more to add that isn't just bells and whistles.  Multi-measure rests spring to mind immediately!

Cheers,
Ewan,
Canberra

Reply #13
Think of hairpins, Mike.  They're in version 2.  If you're a heavy user of NWC, that feature alone is worth the $15 you'd be spending.

However, if you choose to stick with version 1, so be it.  It's your decision to make, not mine.

Reply #14
I kinda in the same boat as Mike.
I don't wanna spend $15 for what I already have.
But I am willing to spend $$ for version 2.
I have always been well aware that the free upgrades would end with the end of version 1.
But I wish the "real" version 2 would get off its keister and come out already...

Reply #15
I guess it's just a matter of perspective (like everything else in life).  I didn't view it as shelling out $15 for what I already had; I viewed it as shelling out $15 for the right to use what I didn't have (NWC2 Preview).

You only need to shell out the $15 if you don't have a CD for version 1.75 (or later).  If you already have the version 1.75 (or later) CD (meaning you also have the licensing information that's printed on it), you can go ahead and get NWC2 Preview right now for no additional cost.  If you only have a prior version CD (even if yes, you've faithfully done web updates to bring you to 1.75b), you will only need to pay the $15 to get the CD that let's you properly install version 2 Preview.

The way I read it on the NWC Preview website page, once the final release is available, you will get that final release for no additional money.  For me, I thought that $15 was a modest investment to get on the bandwagon and start using NWC2.

The reason you need the 1.75 CD is that the NWC2 installation program uses files found on that physical CD (not the web update downloads that you may have been getting all along).  If you don't have the CD, the installation of NWC2 will fail, because it needs information found only on the 1.75 or higher CD.

If you want to wait for final release, that's fine, but it's still not going to be free.  The license for NWC1.x clearly states that free upgrades are only for version 1.x.  I figure I'll pay my $15 now and go ahead and start using the product; I'm sure once the final release is available it's going to be at least $15 (if not more) to upgrade from version 1.x.  I won't have to pay anything then, because I've already gotten the right to use version 2.

So as I said at the beginning, you're not paying for something you've already got, you're paying for something you don't have, which is the CD that enables you to install NWC2 Preview (and I suspect, ultimately, the final version as well).

Anyway, that's enough rambling.  It's your decision; I've already made mine and have easily already recouped my $15 in just time saved using Andrew Purdam's User Tool to transpose text chord letters.

Thanks,

John
An avid NWC fanatic

Reply #16
I have got the NWC Version 1.70 CD with the "Registered to:" and "Code" written on it. If this isn't what I need to update to NWC2 then i'll get over it and i'll just use NWC1. Thanks, Mike

Reply #17
Mine's on a floppy...