Skip to main content
Topic: Customizing Printout (Read 2215 times) previous topic - next topic

Customizing Printout

I would like to separate with a space the Verses from Refrain on my printouts.  I would also like to prevent the staff from being stretched out across the page if possible, It seems to right justify automatically.  I don't know whether I can add blank measures to accomplish this or not. Can anywone help?

Re: Customizing Printout

Reply #1
I assume you are writing a song, not a symphony? If so, then you may simply wish to manually set your page layout. Normally, a voice would be written in the NWC editor as a single staff, extending indefinitely like a train track, and with breaks calculated automatically during page print.

But in your case, try writing staffs the way you wish to see them when they print. That is, if a voice would extend for 7 measures with a break after measure 4, you would not write all 7  measures on a single staff in the editor. You would write one staff with 4 measures, then write an independent staff with the remaining 3 measures. They would not need to follow in order unless you want them that way.

The vertical spacing between staffs can be adjusted with the "staff height" property.

Be sure that File > Page Setup > Options > Extend last system is not checked.

If you also want playback and MIDI, then you will need to create a separate NWC file, with the voices written in linear order, the usual way. You would have one file for printing, one for playback.

There are other possibilities, using metafiles for page layout. But your application does not seem to need them.

Re: Customizing Printout

Reply #2
To take off on an idea in Robert's post, on the last staff of the Verse, hit F2, Visual and set the Vertical bottom fairly high, say 40.  On the first staff of the Refrain, hit F2, Visual and set the Vertical top also to 40.  This should give you a noticeable vertical spacing between the Verse and Refrain without needing any hidden staff.