Skip to main content
Topic: More shift than just one octave? (Read 3155 times) previous topic - next topic

More shift than just one octave?

Does anyone know how to shift a clef more than 8 notes up or down? (like in the Spinning Song)

Re: More shift than just one octave?

Reply #1
You can save it to MIDI then repeat the process or you can re-ebter all the notes by pressing ctrl+up to go 1 octave up each time.

Reply #2
Well, that works, but I mean things like a superscript 6 or 11 above the cleft, without selecting every note and dragging them up, of course. Any ideas?

Reply #3
I don't believe it can be done directly on NWC, other than by using a one-octave shift and moving the notes the remaining distance.

Incidentally, just as 8va and 8vb indicate a one-octave shift, so 15va and 15vb (not 16) indicate a two-octave shift. Why? A note's own pitch (unshifted) is "1." Counting only note in the scale (not accidentals), a shift of 7 pitches brings you to 1+7 = "8." A shift of two octaves brings you to 1+(2x7) = "15."

Reply #4
And the purists would insist on 15ma for quindecima (but I can live with 15va - I still know what you mean!)

Reply #5
...and there's NEVER a need for 15ma basso...

Reply #6
Perhaps doppia 8va