Skip to main content
Topic: open multiple files in NWC2 (Read 4910 times) previous topic - next topic

open multiple files in NWC2

I often open NWC2 files from "My Documents" by simply clicking on the appropriate file. This will open NWC2 and open the file. If I repeat this proceedure whilst NWC is still open a windown opens with the statement that Noteworthy composer does not recognize the filetype ", so it is unable to open the file.
Could you enlighten me as to what is happening and miore importantly how to correct the problem?
I think that this problem has been discussed previously, but I cannot, as yet, find any reference to it. As the program was working well, previously I probably took little notice of the thread
I use WinXP Home.

Re: open multiple files in NWC2

Reply #1
Thank you for all your useful suggestions. However none seemed to work.
The answer it seems is to ensure that the command
[open(%1)] is placed in the DDE submenu of the appropriate file type.

Reply #2
The NWC2 installer automatically establishes the DDE association for *.nwc files. However, even if the DDE setup is altered (which happens when users try to establish their own file associations), NWC2 will still open new *.nwc files in an existing, running copy of NWC2, if one is available.

Reply #3
Thanks,

Unfortunately this is not what seemed to have happened on my system. Somehow the DDE association had ?corrupted to [open("%1")], which allowed the first file to be opened by NWC2 but any subsequent file. Removing the quotation marks solved the problem. I have no idea where they came from!

Reply #4
The installer establishes the following DDE action for NWC2 files:

[Open("%1")]

If this is what you had on your system, it was correct.

However, NWC2 does not require a DDE file association in order to open *.nwc files in the same instance. If the command line does not contain the /newinst option, then any single invocation of an NWC2 file should always open the same running instance of the program.

Reply #5
Thanks again.

For reasons that I have not got to grips with, on my system, WinXP home, if the quotation marks are in the DDE expression [open("%1")] then I cannot open more than one instance of any file in NWC2. The error window appeared as described above. I have removed the quotation marks and NWC2 behaves correctly. It now works, therefore I am not about to fix it!

Regards

Peter