Skip to main content
Topic: Recording nwc direct to midi (Read 2366 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording nwc direct to midi

Hi Guys,
I am trying to record (to midi) in real time, an open nwc file. However, when I try to import it after it has finished recording, I get an error message telling me "there is not any music data in the recording buffer". Any ideas as to settings to record a nwc to midi? Or can I only save to midi and loose nuances when the file is then opened as a midi?
When I save a composition to midi I loose all NWC instructions such as legato, pp, accell, etc. Is there any way to preserve these instructions in a midi file?
Thanks Guys.

Re: Recording nwc direct to midi

Reply #1
Hi Grant, I’m a bit confused by what you are trying to do.  Why can’t you simply use “Save as” and save your NWC file as a midi file?  If you do this, all the dynamics such as pp, mf, or legato/tenuto instructions, or tempo changes, or Ped/* instructions etc. are recognised in midi, and reproduced when you audition the midi file.  In other words, when you play your midi file, you should hear what you heard when you played your NWC file.  There are only one or two NWC instructions such as the Fermata and Breath Mark that are not recognised in midi.  However, it does not work in reverse: that is to say, if you open a midi file with NWC, most of the instructions are lost.
Graham

Re: Recording nwc direct to midi

Reply #2
Hi Graham,
Many thanks for your reply. You have answered my query beautifully. Particularly the bit about when opening a midi file in NWC instructions are lost.
Thanks again :-)