Skip to main content
Topic: feature request: individual note velocities (Read 4039 times) previous topic - next topic

feature request: individual note velocities

It would be really nice if NWC could have different velocities within a chord. It should also be possible to import velocities from a MIDI file.

Re: feature request: individual note velocities

Reply #1
Would be nice, but that's getting closer to being a dedicated sequencer. Such programs exist already, and many NWC users already have one. It's my belief that the NWC strategy is to maintain directness and ease of use, rather than max features that re-invent the wheel.

Reply #2
But allowing users to modify a single note from a chord (not just velocity, but other properties, such as accidentals) would be such a boon. It's probably my biggest moan about the program.
As for your comment about many NWC users also have dedicated sequencers:
1. Many of us cannot justify the huge expense of the major sequencers.
2. I have yet to find a cheap sequencer (or any other music program) that gets anywhere near the ease of use of NWC, so why should I have to export to MIDI (losing lots of features in the process), import into another program that is less easy to use, apply the change that Noteworthy can't do, and re-import, when nagging at NWC might (possibly) get what we need.

Mind you, modifying individual notes sounds like a job for a user tool - one day I might get round to learning a bit more about PHP!

Robin Withey

Reply #3
I would support Robert's view.  I would prefer NWC to prioritise improvements to the notational and editing facilities rather than the rendition facilities - n-tuplets, multi-bar rests, omition of empty staffs, more control over page layout, multi-staff cut and paste, multi-staff find and replace are top of my personal wish list.

Stephen

Reply #4
I too believe the program is primarily intended for making print music, with midi being a secondary tool that probably was originally intended to help with editing by hearing what you've written.  However, people have produced some amazingly high quality midi outputs, so perhaps my view is outdated.

The magic of NWC is that there's often a workaround, so you don't need the elaborate programming in many cases.

Try writing the chord on one staff for printing, but mute it and place each note again on a separate staff for playback, tweaking each one as you wish.  You can even change the length of the playback notes, adding tiny rests if needs be to stagger the entries.

Don't display the playback staffs when you print.  Alternatively, layer the staffs and set the visibility property of the separate playback notes to "never".

Reply #5
That's not to say don't ask - NWC uses these ideas, even though it may take a while.

Reply #6
"I too believe the program is primarily intended for making print music"

Yes - I've been waiting for multi-measure rests, rehearsal marks, drum notation for 10 years now - the wish list is very slow to respond for a program "primarily intended for making print music".

Reply #7
I share your frustration to a certain extent, Barry, but we can produce acceptable, if not exactly traditional, multibar rests, alphabetical rehearsal marks, and, with the x noteheads and headless notes with slashes, also acceptable drum notation with the workarounds. Since we can do these things, it's probable that NWC doesn't give them top priority.

Reply #8
Yes - I know you can - that's why I had to write Boxmarks for the multi-measure rests and rehearsal marks and wrote a Basic program to map the drums.
All those items have been sent to the wish list nearly a decade ago and I'll bet I'm not the only one requesting them.

But if as you say NWC is print oriented why on earth aren't those fundamental music notation symbols part of the package?

For my needs I paid an extra $10 and now use a program that provides all that and more.

Reply #9
Sorry for being slow on the uptake Barry, I didn't remember you created Boxmarks.  That has certainly been a boon to me over the years.