Skip to main content
Topic: margin problem (Read 3573 times) previous topic - next topic

margin problem

If you type a very low note like the low F (four ledger lines below the bass staff), the note may be cut off from the paper.

Re: margin problem

Reply #1
When you set the margins, it only affects the staff, not the notes in it. So, no matter how low the notes in the staff are, the margin does not force a page break.

Reply #2
Ah well, it keeps you on your toes.

Reply #3
I don't have a lot of success with setting margins in NWC or NWC2.  I just make the bottom vertical size of the staff large enough to encompass the low notes.  That usually works out ok.

Reply #4
That also affects all the pages, doesn't it?

Reply #5
Yes, but normally the charts I'm printing are only 1 or 2, occasionally 3 pages, so it's not a real problem for me.

The piano and bass parts are exceptions, 4 or 5 pages (or more for the piano). But since I only have one of each in the band, and the piano player can lay the music on the piano top, I don't worry too much about page turns for these players.

Reply #6
Maybe it would be good to use a separate file for each page temporarily, then copy the notes back when you need to.

Reply #7
It gets complicated, I would think.  The ideal would be to have a manual page break option, so you could have 10 staffs on one page, 8 or 9 on another, etc.

There's always a tradeoff between using too much paper or having a crowded page.

I don't like to use more than 2 pages for a wind instrument part, so page turns can be avoided.  3 in extreme cases, although they don't fit that well on a music stand.  If you've got 300 bars and 15 or 20 individual parts, you end up killing too many trees if you don't condense your music a bit.  Also, with 50 charts in a folder, more pages make for bigger folders.  If you're carrying the entire ensemble's library to each rehearsal, it can be awkward and heavy.

Reply #8
I wrote Reply 7 while off on a tangent.  Looking at your Reply 6,  User111,  I think your idea is a nice workaround.