Skip to main content
Topic: Winamp file, convert to Midi? (Read 4452 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp file, convert to Midi?

I have to admit, when it comes to music, in other then enjoyment of listening, I'm clueless. The love of my life, however, is a musician, & I'm attempting to assist him & have downloaded the trial version to evaluate whether it will be useful to us. So, I have all of these Winamp files that aren't recognised by NoteWorthy Composer when I try to open them up in the program. Is there some way to convert them into something that is recognized by the program?

Re: Winamp file, convert to Midi?

Reply #1
Unfortunately, no. It's because most Winamp files (mp3, vqf, wav, etc.) are not merely music files in the sense of midi or nwc files, but are representations of actual sound recordings. It would be rather like asking for a program that "converts" a spoken-word cassette tape into a Word document, except that the music "conversion" would be even more difficult.

There are a number of experimental programs available which can render very simple sound files into approximate midi equivalents, but none can be said to reliably "convert" music to midi.

Reply #2
Well, that's discouraging. So, how hard would it be to modify the program to accept those type of files? I know, I'm really asking for too much now aren't I?

Reply #3
Think of the files NWC understands (its own format plus MIDI) as the equivalent of musical scores, and the work NWC does as the creation and editing of such scores.

Now think of the files that Winamp understands (mp3, wav and so forth) as recordings of actual musical performances. Obviously NWC can't do its main thing with such files without converting this back to score format. It would be, as Fred aptly said, akin to asking a word processing program to edit an audio tape.

Even if there were a reliable way to convert the Winamp style of file to MIDI or native NWC (and AFAIK there's not), you'd probably never see this as a feature of NWC itself. It would make much more sense to have a separate program to do the conversion and then use NWC to edit the result.

Reply #4
How

Reply #5
Scrambled.

Reply #6
kiki