Skip to main content
Topic: feature request: Volume Mixer (Read 3000 times) previous topic - next topic

feature request: Volume Mixer

Would it be possible to add a mixer where each individual parts volume can be balanced while still using the dynamics in the parts.

The reason I ask for this is I use Noteworthy as I teaching aid.  I arrange the music for a brass band where none of the players can read music and it would be very handy for them to hear their parts more clearly.  At the moment I mute all the other tracks but It would be much better to lower the volume of all other instrument apart from the one I am concerned with.

Regards

Re: feature request: Volume Mixer

Reply #1
You can do this for each staff by going to Staff Properties/Instrument, and adjusting the default velocities.

It's a little cumbersome if you have a lot of staffs, but it works.

Reply #2
Much easier to put in an Expression (or Volume) MPC at the start of each staff. Still a bit tedious having to adjust them all though!

Reply #3
Since I don't own a (pure) MIDI recording/editing program anymore, I'm not sure this will work, but maybe there are more options in such a tool?

If you export the score to MIDI, provided all staffs have a different MIDI channel, you might be able to change the volume more easily with such a tool.

Just an idea...

Reply #4
If you're talking about having just one staff play, hold Shift+F5 and it will automatically mute all of the other staffs.

Reply #5
Phantom, I too use NWC for teaching in this way, and use a method based on the one described by Peter Edwards.

I use it for chorus parts, and have an extra self-imposed but small complication.  I want the singer to hear their own part first, then the remainder of the chorus, and then the accompaniment.

At the start of every "orchestra" part I insert an MPC volume at 64.  At the start of every chorus part I insert an MPC volume at 80, and an instrument patch for recorder.

Then for the chorus part I want to emphasise, I add another MPC volume at 112 and another instrument patch for English horn.

I then play the song and record to wav. (I think you already know about this.)

For the next chorus part, I simply highlight the volume 112 and English horn and cut (Control-X) and paste (Control-V).  This saves lots of typing and clicking.

The volume values I used give the best results for my equipment (127 distorts).  You might want to alter them, and you probably don't need three different levels.  I use recorder as it blends nicely with just about anything and doesn't have a harsh attack.  I use English horn for the opposite reasons.  You might not have to worry about instrument patches, and can just use the written instruments.

Americans, please read "emphasize" for "emphasise".

Reply #6
ummmm isn't what you're looking for the "part volume" setting?  i'm on my mac right now ... i'll check later.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI