Skip to main content
Topic: feature request: current measure number on the status bar (Read 6948 times) previous topic - next topic

feature request: current measure number on the status bar

why can't NWC display the current working measure number on the status bar??? I keep getting lost when I use the scrollbars

Re: feature request: current measure number on the status bar

Reply #1
A workaround is to use the Ctrl-G keyboard shortcut. It will report back current measure. Close the dialog box with Escape (Esc).

Reply #2
Yes... but Ctrl-G does not always give correct results. Directly after a bar line, if there it nothing in the bar itself, Ctrl-G is off by -1. So yes, I too would like to see the current bar number, somewhere.
Bar number display would also help when you're not working strictly top to bottom; the way things are now, the bar number is only visible when the top staff is filled - which is not always true for me.

Reply #3
This would be useful.

A related feature is the vertical position on a selected staff.
When entering text using user for marking this would be very helpful.

Reply #4
Not sure what your last sentence meant, Kevin.  One thing you can do (which is not what I think you're asking for) is to check the height of the text by highlighting it and pressing Ctrl-E.

If you want to adjust all text entries to the same height, just highlight all the relevant bars, making sure the first element highlighted is a text entry.  Then you press Ctrl-E, and set the height.

You might be careful with this, however, since I think it will move other things to the same height too - i.e., dynamic markings.  I haven't encountered this recently nor have I checked for it today, but I seem to recall it happened at some time.

Reply #5
Another thing I do for checking the height of rehearsal letters is that I set the staff height to, say, 15, then align the top of the Boxmark2 letter box with the upper limit of the staff.  It shows well because when you highlight the rehearsal letter, the black block shows you the height.

Reply #6
David, thanks for your help. I'm perhaps too busy using NWC to be aware of all of its features.

I have an extended version of Boxmarks with some extra longer hairpins if anyone wants it.

Happy new year to all.

Reply #7
I didn't respond fully before.

Having several markup fonts which I put in as text it would be  useful if when I moved the cursor it showed the associated NWC vertical position for the active stave.

Ctrl E opens the properties box but I still have to go further into it to see the height. I agree that that we have some visual line up guides but when the item only needs adjusting by one or two units a readabe cursor position would be most useful. Similarly for the selected text item, if the arrow keys could adjust the vertical postion the same way as the notes.

Being able to use user fonts for markup is giving a new professional quality to NWC output.

Reply #8
Agreed, but in the meantime, here's a workaround.

Assuming you want the text to appear at a certain distance above and below your active staff, just create a couple of extra layered staffs in contrasting colours.  Make one of them perhaps 7 lines, the other 9.  Now just layer them under your active staff, and you'll have coloured lines to guide your placement.

(Re the hairpins, you don't need them in the userfonts now, since NWC2 has fully functional hairpins.)

Happy new year to all NWC users.

Reply #9
With seven staves already for a multipart choral work with organ another wouldn't be amiss.

About hairpins: I have needed some longer ones to match the original being transcribed. I have modified the Boxmark ones to give another two longer ones.

Reply #10
That's cool that you have a font editor, Kevin.  I understand they're expensive?

The text based hairpins were needed for NWC 1 but are native to the program in version 2.  They work both visually and for playback.  You can make them as short as 1 note or stretch them over several bars.  They will look a little jagged in your edit window, but in print preview and in printing they'll be fine.

Take a look at this example:

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:F#
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Dynamic|Style:ff|Pos:-11|Wide:Y|Justify:Right|Placement:AtNextNote
|Rest|Dur:8th
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:b7
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:6|Opts:Diminuendo
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:5|Opts:Diminuendo
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:n4|Opts:Diminuendo
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:3|Opts:Diminuendo
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:2|Opts:Diminuendo
|Rest|Dur:4th|Opts:Diminuendo
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:8th|Opts:Diminuendo
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:5|Opts:Diminuendo
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:n4|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:#2|Opts:Diminuendo
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Diminuendo
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:5|Opts:Diminuendo
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Dynamic|Style:pp|Pos:-11|Wide:Y|Justify:Right|Placement:AtNextNote
|Rest|Dur:8th
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:5
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:5
|Bar|Style:Double
|Text|Text:"I"|Font:User3|Pos:8|Justify:Right|Visibility:TopStaff
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:5
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:4^
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:4
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #11
I eventully found them from your post despite the fact that I had used them previously.

I still like my new modded Boxmark hairpins. They seem to look  better in context.

The font editor is very useful and over 10 years old! A golden oldie like me.

Reply #12
A question regarding your font editor. Is it Macromedia's Fontographer? If yes, on which system do you run it? And which version is it?

I own an old licence of the 16-bit version 3.5 of Fontographer, but I hesitate to install it on XP since as I recall it doesn't contain an uninstaller should it not work, and it could potentially be quite messy trying to remove it manually.

Reply #13
The font editor is the old Ares Fontmonger v1.07 circa 1992. It fits on a floppy and runs well under Win98SE or Win 98.
Ares got bought by Adobe. I'm not sure about copyright, the product is no longer available and hence may be copyable.

Reply #14
Okay, thanks for the info. Your app seems older than the one I have. Hmmm, perhaps it's time to dig up those floppies. :-)

Reply #15
Here are the font editors for those looking for them:

[deleted by SYOP]

Reply #16
>the product is no longer available and hence may be copyable

A product does not become public domain simply because it is withdrawn from the market.

Reply #17
Wow - good thing I downloaded those yesterday...