Skip to main content
Topic: NWC won't play nwc files of others (Read 4183 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC won't play nwc files of others

My evaluation program worked fine, but my newly registered NW Composer will not play nwc files of others at their sites.  Just get a blank screen with tiny media symbol in upper left corner??

Re: NWC won't play nwc files of others

Reply #1
Are they using the NWC browser plug-in to display the music directly on their web site?

If so, then there are several possible problems. The first is that you need the NWC browser plug-in (rather than the NWC program), and you must be using Windows. The second is that even if you do have the browser plug-in installed, it does not function in most versions of MS Internet Explorer (due to a Microsoft security patch that disabled lots of innocent things). And, if you have the browser plug-in with netscape (or similar browser), the musician's web site may be trying to deliver the file to you in the wrong digital format.

The simplest solution: Right-click the empty music space, and download the *.nwc file to your own computer, preferably using Internet Explorer. Once you have the file locally, use the NWC program or the Noteworthy Player to open the file - don't try to use the browser.

This issue has been discussed many times, and is not unique to the NWC browser plugin (I have seen the same issues discussed elsewhere, for other products). But since Microsoft in particular, and sometimes Netscape/Mozilla, have been changing the way that third-party products interact with their browsers, it is difficult for any third party to provide something that they can be sure will still work next month.

Reply #2
I reinstalled the plug-in, doesn't help.  NWC files won't open at other's sites.

( I have Wdws XP professional with IE 6.)  Tried to save nwc file at http://members.cox.net/old-music/songpage-nwc.htm but it only saves as an .htm file and won't open.  I was able to save nwc files at 2 other sites o.k. however, and then open them in my Composer.  Thank you!

MIDI files will play at other's sites in Windows Media Player, even though I have file association > .midis to open with NWComposer.  But I can save midis and then import them into my NWC. Thanks again for that.

So as I understand it, I bought the software and it won't do what it said it would do thanks to Microsoft's new updates.  Really appreciate your help!

Reply #3
The NWC Browser Plug-in is a free product. Microsoft broke our free plug-in with their security updates. This is explained in news headline #21.

This does not effect the operation of NoteWorthy Composer, which is our paid product.

Reply #4
Thank you.  Your news headline suggests "switching" to another browser.  If I download Opera 7 to use only for  NWC, can I still have my IE 6 browser as well?  Or will Microsoft prevent me from having Opera and/or interfere with it in some way?  Pardon my computer ignorance, but can I run both browsers o.k. on Wdws XP?

Reply #5
Robert, I don't have the plugin but I could jump through some hoops to play your songs.  After opening one of your plugin htm files I viewed the source to look for the name of the *.nwc file.  After a copy I pasted it into the address, replacing everything after the final slash.  For example here: http://members.cox.net/old-music2/stranger-on-the-shore.nwc

You might want to set up your page with direct links to those files so others could use NWC or NWP to listen to them and a plugin wouldn't be necessary.
Since 1998

Reply #6
PLUG-IN PROBLEM SOLVED!  I downloaded Opera 7.11 and the .nwc files still wouldn't open -- gave me a page saying I needed the NWC plug-in, which I already have.

THE SOLUTION:

1) Make sure file associations are set to NWC.

2) Copy the .dll file from the NWC plug-in and paste it into Opera's Plug-In folder.

3) Go to Opera's Preferences > Files and click on the button that reads "Open with Plug-In."

Works great, and I love this NoteWorthy Software !

Thanks to all for your help.

Reply #7
What the other Robert discovered is that if you install a new browser (such as Opera) after having installed the NWC browser plug-in, you must re-install the plug-in (so that it can find the browser).

Word to the wise: Whenever presenting ANY KIND of media file, if you really want be sure that the visitor can see/hear it, make the file available by separate download. That way, if it is (for any reason) incompatible with the browser, there is another method of access, outside the browser. It is also best to put the file into a generally recognized format, such as ZIP, since some browsers make incorrect guesses about the digital transmission of any file type they don't recognize.

Thus: (My_composition.nwc) as a browser plug-in links, plus
(My_composition.zip) as a downloadable link, containing the My_composition.nwc file, and maybe a text README telling the user where to get the reader.

Reply #8
Hi there, im experiencing similar problems with the NWC plugin. I have downloaded opera 7.54 and im folowing the insructions robert posted in reply#6.

Here's a few problems i ran into
(The DLL file is already present)
Where do i set the file associations ? (i am new to opera)
Where do i find the "open with plug-In" options.
In My preference menu wich is found under the tab "extra", i cant seem to find a menu called files, my guess is they changed it into "files and paths"?  im not sure about paths, since i am using the dutch version and have no idea how to set the browser language to english. In this menu, however, there is no "open with plug-in button".

I hope someone can help me out

Reply #9
Yes, ideally the .nwc file will be offered as a download, but, if not, as in this case . . .
There is another way, which may seem a little messy, but is only a couple of extra clicks.
That is to forget about the plug-in and cut n paste the title of the nwc file into the address bar.

For example, the site discussed was  http://members.cox.net/old-music/songpage-nwc.htm

Click on any song, for example the first "After the Loving"
Yes, i get the blank page.
Click on 'View' ,  'Source'
Find the nwc song title, which is  after-loving.nwc
Change the address bar from

http://members.cox.net/old-music2/no1.htm
to
http://members.cox.net/old-music2/after-loving.nwc

by cut and pasting the nwc song file name into the address bar

This allows you to open or save file as per normal
but not a solution for everyone, i suppose.

Reply #10
thank you very much! It's working perfectly. You just made my (our) day!