Skip to main content
Topic: Clip Text (Read 3131 times) previous topic - next topic

Clip Text

Where do I find out more about this?
Is there a manual?

Re: Clip Text

Reply #1
I don't believe there's a manual for the clip text, but maybe there will be one in the future (I don't work for NWC).

As you can see, it is possible to manually write or edit clip text. That opens numerous possibilities...

For now, you can get the idea of how it works by simply copying some NWC2 music, and looking at its clip text.

Reply #2
If you click on the little "What's This?" link below one of the clips you see, a very clear, concise explanation pops up.  There's no need for a manual.

Reply #3
Currently, we have not documented any particular details of the clip text format. This may change over time.

For now, you can basically decipher the clip text format through copying and pasting notation into a text editor. With a little trial and error, you should be able to get the idea of how it works, and maybe how to change it externally in a text editor or custom filter application.

Reply #4
I've already started taking advantage of the clip format. I've written a little application that takes a NWC clip from the clipboard. So far, I've made it extract only the top or bottom notes of a chord (useful for splitting chorus parts in vocal scores), and generate a line of rest bars of the same length as the selected staff, keeping time and key signature changes (useful for filling in a staff that is tacet, by copying the "active" staff).
I'm hoping to turn it into something more useful one day - like maybe I can get it to generate MusicXML, except we'll have to copy one staff at a time.
So don't change the format too much! I had enough fun trying to keep up with the binary format, and I thought this would be much easier.

RObin

Reply #5
The text is fairly self explanitory.  Thus far I have converted midi triplets to real ones and have added measure numbers as text underneath bar lines.  Still need to get a few bugs out though.