Skip to main content
Topic: 1/16 notes becoming quadruplits and higher numbers then thirds (Read 4080 times) previous topic - next topic

1/16 notes becoming quadruplits and higher numbers then thirds

Hello

I am trying to type in a piece of music that has 5 1/16 notes in a quintruplet (i dont know if that is the right technical term...but instead of a third it is a five). Does anyone know if you can do this in NWC?

There is probably no way but if you can help, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Re: 1/16 notes becoming quadruplits and higher numbers then thirds

Reply #1
NWC doesn't currently support "n-tuplets" although I hope it will come some day.

The workaround is to enter the five notes, beam them, and insert a text "5" between the second and third notes.  Use the smallest font you have (Page Small Text?), and set the properties to Centre and At Next Note/Bar.  Move it up so it's just above the beam.

You playback will be out of time.  If playback is important, you can compensate by using a MultiPoint Controller command (quite complicated for a beginner) or simply insert an invisible tempo change before and after the n-tuplet.  If your original tempo was quarternote = 120, and your n-tuplet is intended to play 5 notes in the time of 4, then you would insert a tempo equal to 5/4 of the original speed, or 150.  After one beat insert the original tempo again.  Hide both tempo changes (highlight, Control-E, Visibility Never).

Other staffs (or systems) will need to be padded with hidden rests or else the playback and the visual appearance of your score will be out of whack.

It's not perfect, but it should work (I haven't tried it).  My numbers re the tempo change might be wrong; just experiment until you get the right combination of tempo changes.

Re: 1/16 notes becoming quadruplits and higher numbers then thirds

Reply #2
Ok, thank you very much for your help. I hope some day nwc will be able to do n-tuplets, but until that day comes, I will try what you have suggested. Thank you.