Skip to main content
Topic: The other NoteWorthy? (Read 4659 times) previous topic - next topic

The other NoteWorthy?

Did you know that there is another music notation program
called NoteWorthy 2? I saw this posted recently.
Know anything about this?

- seb

---

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 09:48:00 +0000
Subject: Re: Sv: Notation program
Sender: owner-choraltalk@lists.colorado.edu
X-Sender: gate-owner@mail.llu.edu
To: choraltalk@lists.colorado.edu

In article <19980316221845.AAA42964@ezivuwqo>, Simon Drew
<sdrew@post10.tele.dk> writes
>I hear glowing reports about Sibelius 7; not a *standard* platform, but by
>all accounts a very powerful system...
>
For the PC you might want to look at NoteWorthy 2 (*nothing* to do with
Noteworthy Composer - they "stole" our name) which is DTP for music. It
does not understand what it is doing so it allows you to put exactly
what you want to see on the page without arguing.

Registration £45 or $75, 30 working day evaluation from
http://www.braeburn.demon.co.uk/nw.htm

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Selkirk, Scotland
01750 721854
+44 1750 721854

Re: The other NoteWorthy?

Reply #1
You ask:

> Know anything about this?

Your post includes a web address. If you are interested, it seems like your best course of action would be to visit the site.

> For the PC you might want to look at NoteWorthy 2
> (*nothing* to do with Noteworthy Composer - they
> "stole" our name) which is DTP for music.

Here are the facts. NoteWorthy ArtWare originally released our NoteWorthy Composer as a program called "NoteWorthy 1.0", back in October of 1994 (see the history page for a list of improvements since then, all offered for free to our registered user base). In December 1994, Mr. Hill called it to our attention that he already had a DOS program called NoteWorthy. Although the Braeburn Software product package made no particular trademark claims, we elected to change the name of our product to NoteWorthy Composer, to avoid the name conflict. As you can tell, NoteWorthy ArtWare is now using "noteworthy" as an adjective in its product branding: NoteWorthy Composer, NoteWorthy Player, and NoteWorthy UpgMaker, all by NoteWorthy ArtWare.

Bottom line: products and services of NoteWorthy ArtWare are not affiliated with Braeburn Software in any way.

Reply #2
I had a quick look at their page. A few things I noticed:

1) It's DOS based (works on EGA!). That's great for the four or five of us with 386s! Unimportant for Pentium/Windows users.

2) Braeburn claim to have released Noteworthy in 1992, but they are a UK company, and so probably didn't have a trademark conflict with Noteworthy anyway (I'm not a lawyer). As to whether Noteworthy Artware "stole" the name, I created a whole software concept and checked the net later only to find (much to my sadness) that I wasn't the first. That is to say, it's quite likely that Eric and co created the name Noteworthy quite independently of Braeburn and DIDN'T steal it.

3) It doesn't seem to support MIDI playback or export

Andrew

Reply #3
OK I get the difference. If Noteworthy artware make a program called noteworthy, it would be called:
"Noteworthy Noteworthy"
OK

Reply #4
And don't forget Noteworthy records (a jazz recording label
founded in 1993) as well as Noteworthy pc disks made by
Port Inc.

Reply #5
I seem to be the first one the respond to this message who actually has the program!
As previous writers suggest, it is solely a scoring program,
with no facilities for converting to MIDI, or playing back.
No disrespect to Bernard, but I gave up using it as soon as I
discovered NWC.

Reply #6
I know another "DTP" program that "does not understand what it is doing so it allows you to put exactly
what you want to see on the page without arguing." It is much more flexible than
NWC and, best of all, you don't have to buy it. It is already on your computer.
It is called Paintbrush. Not quite as easy to use! :-)

Reply #7
Paintbrush would be great for formless post-contemporary music. "That naughty modern music", as Henry Crun would put it. (Those of you who don't know the Goon Show will just have to scratch your heads...)

A

Reply #8
Sorry. Forgot to mention. One thing the other Noteworthy does do that NWC doesn't is that you can put guitar chords above the staff, and when you transpose the piece, the chords are automatically transposed with it. (How about it, NWC?)