Skip to main content
Topic: transposing from b flat trumpet to e flat alto sax (Read 12821 times) previous topic - next topic

transposing from b flat trumpet to e flat alto sax

I need to transpose music so my friends and I can play on saturday. I know that the sax is 5 half steps lower than the trumpet but i don't know how many sharps or flats to add. please help!

Re: transposing from b flat trumpet to e flat alto sax

Reply #1
Generally, add a sharp or remove a flat to transpose from trumpet to alto sax.  Go up 7 semi-tones, rather than down 5 so you'll be in the right octave.

NWC will automatically update the key signature when you use Tools, Transpose if you've entered the original key signature before transposing.

Reply #2
i want to learn how to transpoes

Reply #3
Thats pretty open...

Do you want to learn how to transpose in NWC or in general - the principles of transposition and the relevant theory behind it etc.?

Do you want to know about transposing a work to change the key signature overall or transposing a part for a "transposing" instrument like a Trumper or Sax for another instrument to play that has a different transposition?

There are several threads on this forum about transposition.  There are also many users who have good knowledge about it.  Perhaps if you could clarify a little [I know, how do you know what you don't know when you don't know what you don't know  :) ] someone can then start to help...

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
On the subject of transpose staff, is it ever used without first forcing accidentials? When? Is force accidentials ever used for something else than transpose staff? Otherwise, I was going to suggest that force accidentials could become an option inside the transpose staff dialogue.

Btw, a friend of mine is since a few years using a $300 notation program. He knows most advanced operations and engraving tweaks, but when it comes to transposing, he rather does it by hand and enter the transposed staff into the program, since he hasn't figured out how to use the program transposition without screwing up accidentials etc.. :)

Reply #5
You don't need to force accidentals to transpose, Anders, but you should show the original key signature if you want a new one to be displayed.  Even from C major, which will show a greyed out natural sign.

There are times you want to force (display) all the accidentals just to know which ones are sharp, natural or flat, because your music score can get pretty complicated and your key signature is way, way off the left of the screen.

The only problem I have with forcing accidentals is that when you cancel them, you may lose the accidentals you forced on certain notes as a courtesy to the musician playing the part.