Skip to main content
Topic: Transposition problem (Read 2264 times) previous topic - next topic

Transposition problem

When correctly transposing saxophone music from an imported midi file, the Tools > Transpose Staff window has a problem when correcting for Tenor and Baritone saxophones...

The correct tranposition is a major ninth and major 13th respectively and this window only allows a difference of 12 semitones when it should allow 14 or more.

How do I transpose it correctly then?  I'm afraid I'll notate it wrong!

Thanks

Re: Transposition problem

Reply #1
I've had to work around the same thing before when writing music for my saxophone quartet.  Just do a 2 step transposition.  Transpose to get it in the right key first.  Then either transpose an additional 12 semitones down, or highlight the notes of the staff and shift them down to the proper placement using ctrl-shift-down arrow 7 times.

Reply #2
I'm sorry, I wrote that wrong.  If you're transposing from true concert pitch, the tenor sax and bari sax would go up, not down!

Reply #3
Two stage transpositions are necessary for any instrument that plays more than an octave over or below the concert pitch.  Just transpose twice - 12 steps the first time, and 9 the second time for bari sax.  Tenor is 12 and 2.

Reply #4
The Bari usually imports in bass clef.
What I do is set the transpose (through staff properties) to -24, transpose -3 (through the transpose command), drag the whole staff up 2 notches, and change the clef to treble.

(If the Tenor imports in bass clef, you may use a similar procedure.)