Skip to main content
Topic: Playing MIDI files in NWC & NWP (Read 3147 times) previous topic - next topic

Playing MIDI files in NWC & NWP

I am a new user of NWC. When I play MIDI files in NWC they sound quite different to when I play them in NWP. Playing them in NWC they sound harsh and loud especially in the bass which sometimes drowns out the melody. This does not happen in NWP. Could someone please tell me why this happens?

Thanks
Alex

Re: Playing MIDI files in NWC & NWP

Reply #1
Perhaps NWC and NWP are set to use two different programs as devices used for playback.  Go to in the menu bar Tools-Options and click on the MIDI tab.  See which device(s) appear in the Devices used for playback box and select the best-sounding one by trial and error.

Reply #2
NWP actually plays back the MIDI file when you play it. The notation on the screen is for viewing only. It is not actually played.

When you open a MIDI file in NWC, it is imported and converted into NWC notation. When you play it back in NWC, you are playing the imported interpreted notation, not the original MIDI performance.

Reply #3
The difference is that NWP converts the MIDI for display only, and plays the original MIDI.  NWC convert the MIDI to its (NWC's) internal form, displays that AND plays that.  The conversion looses a fair amount of information, including the dynamics.  Further, the notes are quantified and may not have the exact duration of the MIDI (note the loss of triplets, for example).  I honestly don't know if MIDI controls equivalent to NWC's MPC entities are imported, but I suspect not.

So, with NWP you are hearing the original, with NWC you are hearing an approximation.

Reply #4
Thank you very much for your replies. They are much appreciated.