Skip to main content
Topic: wav. files to CD (Read 4855 times) previous topic - next topic

wav. files to CD

I have managed finally to convert MIDI files to wav. files. I put the wave files on to a CDR but I now have a probelm. The CD plays the files back fine on the computer, but when I put it in any normal CD player (I've tried 4 different ones) it doesn't play back at all. It does recignise the number of tracks but there is just silence. Is it most likely that the CDR I have used is not compatible with the players?
Would be grateful of any advice
David Barton

Re: wav. files to CD

Reply #1
That could be the problem. I used a CD-RW disk and it plays fine on the computer and on my CD player, but it doesn't play in a regular radio that has CD capability. You might try a different CD, maybe CD-RW.

Daniel Carrasco

Reply #2
It sounds as if you did record to an audio CD format, rather than a computer file CD format (or otherwsie, it would not play in any kind of CD player).

I have heard that some CD players, particularly older ones, cannot read the low-reflectivity CD media that are now popular for CD recording. That might be the problem.

Reply #3
David did you convert the .wav  fiels to .cda files
If you didnot then try converting them because cda CD Audio fiels shoud be the correct fiels fo cd's John

Reply #4
How old is your burner?  Mine is getting old and suddenly I found that I could not play burned cds on my audiophile cd player.
Also I do not think the advice about cda files is correct- your cd burning software will create cdas from .wav files [or at least all the burn-software I have experienced does/did].  However one other issue
is possible you could have a bad stack of cdr's- I just got two batches of  those- cheap cdr's cause alot of problems I use Taiko Yuden and even they play in my getting old cd player whereas the cdr's that have been 'on sale' won't.
Hope this helps alittle.
j

Reply #5
Try burning the CD at a slower speed - you may get better results.

Also, I agree it's likely that you formatted the CD blank to be a data CD, rather than a music one.  I wonder if you just copied the files from your hard drive to the CD, using Explorer or whatever?  If so, use the CD burning software that came with your burner.  It should allow you to choose between data files and music files.

Reply #6
Hi Dave, it's like John says, you must burn your disk using a program that will convert your files to .cda format.  All regular CD players will not read .wav files, but a computer will, so it would play on your computer, but not on any CD player.

Have fun - The Hankster

Reply #7
Hi,
That's strange! I always use Nero to create audio CD's, and I simply put together an album of .wav files! It works without fail. I have also successfully used Pinnacle software once, when I did not have a working copy of Nero on another PC. So, there should be nothing wrong with using .wav files...

Reply #8
About a year ago, I discovered that CDs were failing part-way through the burn process. I had a bad pack of major-label (not the cheapest) blank CDs. Exchanged them for another brand (cheaper!) and all was well. Only happened with that one pack.

Reply #9
I understand that CDA files aren't audio files, but are just shortcuts telling the CD player where the tracks are on the CD.  The music itself on the CD will usually be a .wav file.

That's why CD burners work so quickly when you "extract" a song to .wav format - it's straight copying, no conversion needed.  Contrast that with extracting to MP3 format - that takes much longer.

Reply #10
Mostly as Robert says. Some blank CDr s work better than others. Usually the Gold coloured ones are best.Some portable or home Cd players wont work.CD RW are a no-no.Burning programs just take wav files and burn them to cda no problem. You don't have to mess around trying to make cda s. Just drag the wav files on to the dialogue either Nero or Roxio.

Reply #11
Regarding Robert's Reply 8, my own experience with CD failure was that it usually occurred when other programs were running in the background, particularly the virus scanning program I keep alive all the time.

Closing all unnecessary programs increased my success rate.

Quality of CD's is more likely an issue of how long they will last, rather than how well they burn.  The colour of the recording surface is your first clue - the cheaper CD blanks use green dye I think.

Reply #12
Thank you for all your replies - I have now bought new CDR's and they work fine on all players.
David

Reply #13
I have read that burning your cds at a Max speed of 8X will cause them to be read by older devices.  As I ONLY can burn at 8X (and have had no problems at all) Obviously I can't speak from experience about higher burn rates for data/audio.