Skip to main content
Topic: Changing wavesets in Windows XP (Read 2108 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing wavesets in Windows XP

A while ago I finally made the switch from Win. 98 to Win. XP, and I use Finale as my notation software and well lets face it, the midi sounds are really bad. I had the same problem in Win. 98, but in 98 it allowed me to change the waveset to a better one that I had downloaded from a site and worked beautifully and sounded a lot better. Well, when I upgraded to XP and tried to change the waveset the advanced button on the audio tab in the sound settings where you should be able to change the waveset was not working. And I cannot figure out how to change the waveset in XP, does anyone have an answer?

Re: Changing wavesets in Windows XP

Reply #1
Are you sure that the problem is XP? As far as I know, whether or not you can change the wave set is a property of your sound card, not the operating system.

If you have a different computer (with a different sound card), that may be the problem right there. If you merely upgraded to XP on the same system, it may be that the sound card driver is not fully compatible with XP. Try browsing your way to the sound card manufacturer's web site, and see if there is a driver update. (It may also be the case that you can get it via Windows Update, but not always.)

Re: Changing wavesets in Windows XP

Reply #2
Depending on your sound card setup you may have to choose between your sound card's hardware synth (if any) and the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synthesizer which is a Roland softsynth integrated into Windows Media Player in XP and Windows 2000.  The GS synth is not quite as good as the (now) late, great Yamaha softsynths but much better than most sound cards' hardware synths.  Go to Control Panel, Sound and Multimedia, Audio and choose the Microsoft GS Wabetable Synthesizer for MIDI playback and check the box marked "Use only preferred devices" so that your music programs will not choose the (inferior) hardware synth.  Good luck!