Skip to main content
Topic: Twelve Tone Row (Read 15860 times) previous topic - next topic

Twelve Tone Row

This is the first javascript I have attempted for NWC here and will create a twelve tone row starting at middle C.  I may add options for other starting locations, clefs, and note durations later depending on feedback.

I am still a novice at javascript, but some other examples can be found by chopping ttr.htm off the above link (my home page).

Edited change:  Moved my website.

Another edited change:  Again
Since 1998

Re: Twelve Tone Row

Reply #1
Hi Warren -

Interesting script, and possibly useful. The NWCtext it generates is missing its header and footer; you might consider adding these, although it's easy enough to add them by hand. Also, the row it generated for me started on B natural rather than middle C. It's probably more accurate to state that it creates a twelve-tone row in the octave from middle C upward.

Just a couple of small suggestions....

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #2
It's probably more accurate to state that it creates a twelve-tone row in the octave from middle C upward.
Or that it deals a hand from a 12 card deck consisting of the chromatic scale using sharps...

BTW, the checkbox adds the headers and footers. Perhaps it should be checked by default.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
I don't have it ready to upload yet, but I have added options for any key and choose your clef.  Including headers and footers is now a default and I dropped the checkbox for that.

Rick, I remembered an algorhythm(sp?) for dealing a card deck which is where I got that means for randomly finding twelve notes.  I see you looked at the source <g>.  Thanks for your interest!

P.S. Also am adding a note duration dropbox.
Since 1998

Reply #4
P.S. Also am adding a note duration dropbox.
Why bother? It's easier to simply select it in NWC2 and change the duration.
Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Why bother? It's easier to simply select it in NWC2 and change the duration.
Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.
Good point.  I changed it (link in 1st post) to allow a choice of the bottom note, but the generated code will be only for the treble clef in quarter notes.
Since 1998

Reply #6
Thanks for the improvements, Warren. This should be fun to play with. My usual practice, when writing 12-tone music (which is most of what I write), is to create the row and the first theme of the work simultaneously, rather than to create a row and then attempt to derive themes from it. This produces a row that is a musical thought rather than a random collection of notes. However, I have bookmarked your tone-row generator, and will try printing a few generated rows out and playing around with them at the piano to see what music may lie within them. Who knows what beauty may lie in that direction?

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #7
You're welcome, I appreciate the feedback.

Since putting in the counter, my first four visitors (not counting me) have been from Korea, Australia, Italy, and New Hampshire.
Since 1998

Reply #8
Italy? I think I know that one... ;-)

Reply #9
I just added options for inversion and retrograde once a random pattern has been created as well as links to the NoteWorthy website.  We welcome new visitors from Belgium and Connecticut.
Since 1998

Reply #10
Nice, Warren. Any chance you can get it to paste the inversion and retrograde in below the original form, instead of replacing the original?

Another nice enhancement would be to be able to paste NWCtext into the applet's window and let the inversion and retrograde loops work on it.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #11
Maybe your system does not see it, but you have had a visitor from Finland as well :)

Christian
NWC on Ubuntu Linux/Wine

Reply #12
Nice, Warren. Any chance you can get it to paste the inversion and retrograde in below the original form, instead of replacing the original?

Another nice enhancement would be to be able to paste NWCtext into the applet's window and let the inversion and retrograde loops work on it.
I'll try to look into that soon, perhaps generating a text comment between sets.
Since 1998

Reply #13

I got in a fresh supply of round tuits and made a few of those of changes.

Cheers
Since 1998

Reply #14
It can be changed to accept a user's twelve notes if they are all on the treble clef, accidentals are forced (naturals and sharps only), and twelve contiguous notes must be between middle C and the first B above the treble staff.  Output would be as it is now (quarter notes), but it could accept notes of any duration.

I just noticed the key selection (bottom note) wasn't working--it read the pull-down window before the user had changed it.  At any rate, it should work now.
Since 1998

Reply #15
I got the ttr to accept data from the textarea (or its own output) and show the bottom note in the dropdown if the data are correct.
Since 1998

Reply #16
I added an option to start on the bottom note.
Since 1998