Skip to main content
Topic: so simple I can't find out how to make new staff (Read 3351 times) previous topic - next topic

so simple I can't find out how to make new staff

I just got this program and I have seven measures written, but whenever I use the tools menu to add a new staff, the new staff connects to what I already have written above rather than being just a simple left hand/right hand for piano piece.  When I push play, all three staffs play.  What simple thing am I overlooking to make this just a two hand piece?

Re: so simple I can't find out how to make new staff

Reply #1
You make a piano piece by using two staves, with them assigned to Upper and Lower Grand Staff, respectively. Take a look at the Samples, which will help you understand how things work.

Reply #2
On the top of the toolbar you see;
File Edit Vieuw Staff Insert etc.....
You click on Staff and then new staff

Reply #3
Or just press Ctrl-A.  The new staff will be added to the bottom of your score.  To move any staff up or down, move to it using Page Up or Page Down, then use Control-Page Up or Control-Page Down to move it to where you want it.

There are a few options for bar lines - upper and lower grand staffs, where bar lines connect the two staffs; standard, where they don't.  These must be set for each staff separately - move to the particular staff, and press F2 for staff property settings.

Reply #4
I think you're making a simple mistake. The music doesn't split into systems as it does on the printed page but just continues on the same line for as many bars as you need. The page scrolls back and forth as necessary to show the position you are editing.

To see what it looks like on the printed page you just go into print preview.