Skip to main content
Topic: Playback with alto clef (Read 2600 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback with alto clef

I have been transcribing midis I download for string quartet...often taking, for instance, a piano score and copying to 2 new clefs and deleting notes.  For the viola line I may, for instance, transpose a line written in treble clef up 10 semitones and change then change to the alto clef.  This works for printing parts, but I have not figured out how to get Noteworthy to recognize it's dealing with a different clef.  It plays back as if the new transposed notes are still in treble clef...leading to some intersting harmonies, but not what I'm after.  Is there a solution?  Thanks.

Re: Playback with alto clef

Reply #1
I do this all the time, and I think the "transpose" tool isn't the best way to do it. Here's what I do:

First of all, if there's no key signature, I have to add one, even if the piece is in C (a "1 natural" key sig won't print, but it's necessary).

I select "force accidentals" from the tools menu. If I forget this step, sometimes a few pitches will be off.

Then I add the new clef and erase the old one.

Select the whole staff (or parts of it to be moved) and move the notes up to their new positions (seven steps up from bass, seven down from treble). Then "audit accidentals" to get rid of all those accidentals.

If you use the "transpose" feature, you may, as you've noticed, wind up in the wrong key  and/or the wrong pitch when you add a new clef. Also, when you transpose, think about whether you want to check the "update staff playback transposition" box. For this purpose, you don't. (If you were creating a part for a transposing instrument, like the saxophone, you would leave the box checked.)

You can probably fix the scores you have now by selecting the viola staff, pressing F2 for properties, and checking the midi tab. If the transposition box isn't zero, make it so. I sweated peanut butter over that one.

Re: Playback with alto clef

Reply #2
Eliminate if there's no key signature, ... add one,
force accidentals, and
audit accidentals.
All ya gotta do is change the clef and drag it up or down to its new staff position.