Skip to main content
Topic: Printing to PDF's..The easy route (Read 5320 times) previous topic - next topic

Printing to PDF's..The easy route

I've seen some discussion a couple of months back about printing scores from NWC to a PDF document.

The contortions listed to do this were extremely complex and not at all user friendly.

I have found a utility which emulates a printer driver and all you need to do is print your score as normal. When the printer selection dialog comes up just select PDF Creator instead of your printer and you have an instant pdf file of your score.

The url is:
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

I am in no way involved with this software but I find it very handy. In particular for doing double sided printing.

Curt

Re: Printing to PDF's..The easy route

Reply #1
Yep, works. Free. I've been using it since it was released. Others on this forum know about it, but since old advice isn't purged, you may have come across older info.

It does help when you start a new post like this.

Incidentally, the Sourceforge PDFcreator project is more-or-less all of that contortion stuff, wrapped into a single no-brainer self-installer.

Reply #2
Try www.pdf995.com ,you can do the printing to pdf ,(it's actually quicker) and with the pdf995 editor you can concatenate as well (put files together in a book)

Reply #3
I tried pdf995 but I can't work out how to import the relevant fonts for NWC (and, I have to confess, Sibelius, to which I have partially defected), so the finished result is gobbledygook.......

Reply #4
I also tried pdf995 as each time I tried to download the pdf creator I would get a few thousand bytes and clunk it would finish, but the resulting file wouldn't work. I too would like to know how to import the fonts necessary for NWC files.

Regards
Graeme

Reply #5
Must be the dreaded XP disease. I run 98SE and don't have problems.I even use unusual fonts such as Boxmarks and New7.
Fonts just have to be copied into Windows\Fonts to be able to be used.

Reply #6
Sorry, I meant note fonts. If I print to pdf using pdf995 I get a lot of nice lines but all the notes are k's and other such things and it's the same for special characters like clefs. Does anyone know how I can sort this. I had the same problem once when I copied the print preview page into Word. When I emailed the file to my sister the result was a whole lot of k's and such on the nice ledger lines. I use Windows 98SE...

Reply #7
It is because the recipient does not have the appropriate font installed.
You have a couple of options:-

The recipient installs the font.
You embed the font or a sub-set of the font in the PDF file.

The software should have options that allow this.

If the font cannot be found Acrobat Reader substitutes a font which may use alpha characters in place of the graphic glyphs used by the note font.

Reply #8
Acrobat Reader 5.0 (not 4, not 6) had a problem reading nonstandard fonts, even if properly embedded in a PDF file readable by (say) GSview. Maybe 5.x fixed the problem, but 5.0 came with a lot of new computers.

If using 5.0, change version.

Reply #9
No problem with AR version 5.0 and NWC fonts at this end.

Reply #10
Maybe the AR5.0 thing is platform-specific. Most the the compalints coming to me are from W2K users.

Reply #11
You must dot the "Always use ttf fonts" option on the 'Fonts'tab in the Printer Properties dialogue for Pdf995 Printer.