Skip to main content
Topic: Notes/Rests and Rests together (Read 2009 times) previous topic - next topic

Notes/Rests and Rests together

I am trying to input a quarter note rest, stem down and an eighth note E, stem up in the same position in the treble cleff and I can't seem to do it.  Noteworthy will let me put the quarter rest and a half note or whole note but it won't seem to let me put it together with a eighth note (or a quarter or sixteenth for that matter).  Any suggestions.  I know I can insert a whole new staff if necessary but it won't help when I print it out to play.
Also, does anyone know if it is possible to put to rests together (i.e. quarter note rest, stem up and quater note rest, stem down)?
Thanks, I love Noteworthy.  It's the best!

Re: Notes/Rests and Rests together

Reply #1
short notes and longer rests together:

Noteworthy appears not to let you do this on the same staff.  But there IS a work around - use layered staves.

Put everything except the longer rest on one staff.

Put your rest on another.  Fill in the remainder of the staff with rests, and make these filler rests invisible (select them, then Edit | Properties - Visibility - Never).  You can also make the bar lines invisible - it doesn't matter.  (Well... it usually doesn't matter.)

Make sure the top staff is layered (F2, then on the visual tab).

Make sure layering is on (View | Allow Layering).

You might still see the "invisible" rests on the screen, but check out File | Print Preview.

Re: Notes/Rests and Rests together

Reply #2
One additional step:

Adjust the vertical position of the rests (select the rest, then use the up/down arrows while holding the shift & Control keys) otherwise they will be on top of one another.