Skip to main content
Topic: big5 code ended with 0x5f can be displayed in lyrics (Read 2124 times) previous topic - next topic

big5 code ended with 0x5f can be displayed in lyrics

Some chinese characters (big5 encoding) ends with 0x5f (e.g. 0xb05f) are displayed as ? in the lyrics. Probably because it collids with the reserved char '_'. Any workaround?

Re: big5 code ended with 0x5f can be displayed in lyrics

Reply #1
I'm a bit surprised that any of those characters work at all, but apparently they do.

As you noted, the lyrics editor assigns a meaning to the underscore. But the text editor does not assign a meaning. Try this:

Where you have a lyrics syllable with an offending character, do not place that syllable in the lyrics editor. You can use the underscore to skip a note, or instead, use note properties to ensure that no syllable is assigned.

Then, create the syllable with the text editor, using the same font as lyrics. Position the text syllable where the lyrics syllable should be. You will need to choose the correct alignment for the text (probably place the text just before the note, then align centered at next note).

Re: big5 code ended with 0x5f can be displayed in lyrics

Reply #2
Thanks. The trick works well, though, a bit clumsy. Not sure you would consider treating 0x5f specially only if the preceding char is a space.

I enter chinese lyrics on US WinXP/2K by setting the default local to big5. It works quite well for me.