Skip to main content
Topic: Word to the wise: Update Windows NOW (Read 3784 times) previous topic - next topic

Word to the wise: Update Windows NOW

Microsoft just released patches for a Windows vulnerability (XP only, or all? I don't know) so bad, it made Bill Gates blush. Go to the Windows update web site, and get it.

According to researchers interviewed by the Associated Press, hackers will eventually reverse engineer the patch code, so they can figure out whatever vulnerability it patches. If you don't have the patch already installed within a few weeks, you may be out of luck.

Re: Word to the wise: Update Windows NOW

Reply #1
For those who heard it on today's news: There is a worm going around that exploits the problem in question. If you have XP, and have not obtained the patch, do so immediately, BUT...

The worm spreads by direct computer contact, without the need to click a link or run an executable. Apparently, this worm doesn't hurt your computer. It tries to propagate itself to other unprotected computers. At certain times, all infected computers will launch a denial-of-service attack against... the Microsoft Windows Update web site! The first attack is scheduled for this coming Saturday, so you weekend readers of this forum might be too late.

Apparently, this particulr worm tries to send Microsoft millions of messages telling them to make virus-resistant software, rather than issuing patches.

Are you asking yourself, "Where can I get this worm?"
I don't know.

Reply #2
As an FYI:

We are currently enduring a massive surge of incoming virus e-mail. We are getting about 10 copies of the Sobig virus into our e-mail servers each minute (that's about 600 e-mails per hour). Another 2 e-mails per minute appear to be the Sobig virus, but with the attachment removed (apparently some ISPs detect and filter out the virus, but for some reason go ahead and deliver the one liner message).

Details can be found at:

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5065494.html

We are not operationally effected by this traffic, but it is an interesting insight into how widespread this infection has reached in such a short time.

Reply #3
I had a raft of them this morning, but they abruptly stopped. Apparently Netscape's IMAP mail service has gotten wise to it and now just dumps them.

Reply #4
Yeah, our mail filter dumps them too (with the exception of the ones where the attachment has been stripped before they arrive).