Skip to main content
Topic: Converting midi files to sheet music with Noteworthy (Read 5708 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting midi files to sheet music with Noteworthy

I have a ragtime midi that I have tried and tried to find the sheet music for. Apparently it's out of print.  I've been told that a program like NoteWorthy will take a midi file and do just that.  Is that true and is there anything special I need to know/have besides a copy of NoteWorthy Composer?  My skill level at this sort of thing is minimal at best, so assuming it's possible, the instructions would have to be VERY CLEAR.
Thanks.  Could you also respond directly to the following email address. I may never find my way back to this site.

gerald@cacheweb.com

Re: Converting midi files to sheet music with Noteworthy

Reply #1
(posted and mailed)

Gerald, you can get a pretty good idea how NWC will render the midi by downloading and installing the free Noteworthy Player.

This plays MIDIs and Noteworthy Composer files, and simultaneously displays the notation ("sheet music") in both cases on your PC screen.

You should be aware that when a MIDI file is imported into Noteworthy, some information, such as dynamics, is not imported. Also performance instructions such as tempo markings and expression, are not part of the MIDI specification and so would not be present. If the MIDI file you have has been accurately compiled, a competent pianist should be able to guess these by listening to the MIDI.

hth.,

Bob

Reply #2
Noteworthy will do this. I turn midi files into playing scores all the time, in fact it's what I use NWC for most.

NWC may not be the very best tool for this job, but it's certainly the least expensive. The downside is that the files require a bit of cleaning up before they look like printed piano music (though they'll be playable), and if your skill level really is minimal, you may find it difficult. A lot depends on how complicated the midi file was in the first place, and how it was put together. You can come here onto the forum for advice.

Reply #3
Mr. Bohnet has replied to me by email to say thank you and, encouragingly, he seem to be well on the road to accomplishing his request.

Bob

Reply #4
For the benefit of other prospective users who may come to this message thread:

Sheet music (for beginners) is relatively uncomplicated, in terms of musical notation. It is possible to encode simple music into MIDI, in a manner that will produce a simple result when the MIDI is decoded to sheet music using a program such as  Noteworthy Composer. Since MIDI does not contain information about the appearance of notes on a printed page, it is often necessary to manually adjust the result. But for simple music, that may not be too hard to do.

However, a lot of MIDI files are produced by musicians actually playing the music on a keyboard. Thus, the MIDI will contain whatever syling (even errors) the musician applies. A high-quality interpretation may have timing variations, even added chords, that will make the MIDI very complex. When decoded to sheet music, the result will contain numerous short-duration rests and other effects that clutter the appearance. To some extent, this can be controlled during MIDI import to NWC. But the result would rarely be a perfect reproduction of the original sheet music, since the musician's skill and intent is not known.

Reply #5
You dont me...i dont know you but thanks for that program. I converted the midi track of Bohemian Rhapsody using it. I got the midi from gavshome.tripod.com/midis/index.html if you like that then there you go

Reply #6
hello i would like to know how to get a file from off the internet and getting to my note worthy composer so that i can print it out and play it on my tuba.If you know how to do this please email me @ platinum_king@hotmail.com.

thank you.

Reply #7
First download the midi file.  Later open that file with the Composer or Player.
Since 1998

Reply #8
I have imported a midi file of Perfesser Bill Edwards playing "Shine on Harvest Moon".  I accept that the interpretation will give me a lot of odd note lengths and notes not beginning at the start of a beat.

I would however like to clean up the resultant nwc file in terms of timing.  For example if I have 10 bars all beginning a semiquaver too early, is there a way that I can insert that semiquaver and get Noteworthy to turn a lot of tied notes (semiquaver + dotted quaver) into simple notes (crotchet)?

In a similar vein, the performance has a lot of grace notes, so that Noteworthy carefully extracts the time of these from the preceding note (making it (e.g.) a dotted dotted dotted minim).  Is there an easy way to get the grace note converted into a little crossed out note, and the length of the preceding note restored.