Skip to main content
Topic: NWC and Windows XP (Read 7285 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC and Windows XP

Ok, I just transferred my nwc files from my old computer (Windows 98) to my new computer) windows XP Professional. I redownloaded the program and tried to open the files:

but it keeps saying "This file failed to open. It either does not exist or may be corrupted."

How can it be corrupted when it worked fine yesterday? and how does it NOT exist?

Re: NWC and Windows XP

Reply #1
Just recently bought a laptop with xp. No apparent problems except that xp no longer appears to use the midi mapper and, at least in my case, has a really hokey set of wavetables (Microsoft GS Wavetable).

If you wanted to email to me, I can try to open one of the files in my xp laptop vs on a 98 machine and see if there is any difference. music@psalmistry.com

Reply #2
Wild guess: XP (home or pro) file paths differ from the way 98 did them. Perhaps the *.nwc files were placed somewhere that is inacessible to the NWC program? That is, the program may have been installed for user X, but the *.nwc files placed somewhere that X does not have the privilege to access. That can even be true of the desktop.

Reply #3
As Robert points out, inadequate user permissions might be a cause for this.

Reply #4
nah, it was installed and all ran on my account.

Reply #5
Anneth, when you transferred the files, was it by diskette, or did you send them to yourself via Internet (e-mail attachment, or uploaded file)?

If you sent them to yourself via Internet, be aware that files with the */nwc extension are not always recognized by browsers as being binary coded. They may be mis-interpreted as ASCII coded. That would "corrupt" the file. If this is what you did, put your *.nwc files into a ZIP archive, and send them to yourself that way.

Reply #6
I copied it onto a CD then brought it over.

Reply #7
Copying files from a CD using Windows Explorer will result in the files being marked as "read-only" on your hard drive. This will prevent you from saving the files. This will not, however, prevent you from opening them.

Reply #8
I used Sony CD extreme turn put the file onto the disk. So there's basically no solution to this?

Reply #9
nah, it was installed and all ran on my account.

yeah, but do you have administrator priviledges on your account? (you may need them)
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #10
>So there's basically no solution to this?

It is not yet clear, exactly, what is your problem. NWC has no problem opening NWC files when it is run on Windows XP (assuming file permissions allow it).

If you send us a sample file that is causing you trouble, we might be able to determine the nature of your problem.

Reply #11
I created the files on Windows 98 and have tried running it on the XP computer. It continues to say File Corrupt or nenexistant.

When I tried to switch compatability, it wouldn't work. And it would say: "Abnormal Program Termination"

Reply #12
Do the samples files that come with the program (in the "Samples" folder of your NWC program folder) work correctly? Knowing this might help narrow down your problem.

Reply #13
Yeah, the samples work fine (and may I point out that they soudn prettier on XP?)

Reply #14
Alright, try copying a file from the CD directly into the Samples folder. Do they work?

If not, here's where I'm treading on thin ice since I don't run XP; but it just might work. Right-click on the filename (in the Samples folder) from Explorer, Properties, and uncheck the Read-only attribute checkbox. Does it work now?

Reply #15
I should point out that a year ago, I migrated my NWC files from my old Windows 98 machine, to my new XP machine, without problem. But this did not involve software upgrade on the same machine. Also, I am the sole user. The files were transferred via floppy, not CD.

Could it be that the files in question really are corrupted? It could happen. Are there other files (of any kind) on that CD, and are they OK?

Reply #16
Come to think of it...XP wouldn't read any or my picture files as well.

Reply #17
.. aha, the dog did not bark in the night.

Before doing anything else: Open the CD-ROM using Windows Explorer, so you can see the file and folder icons. Right-click whatever is of interest, COPY it, then go to the desktop, and PASTE it. Close the CD-ROM. Can the pasted file be opened?

But there's no reason why XP wouldn't read something from 98, unless (a) the files really were corrupted, or (b) they were saved from some sort password-protected user account, and the second machine doesn't have that account.

(a) Could happen if the CD-R was defective, so that the writing operation did not complete without error. Your software should have warned you, though.

(b) Did you have a password-protected user account on the 98 machine, but not present on the XP machine? Or, same account name, different password? If so, then try setting up a user account in XP with the same name and password, then try to open the files when logged on to that account.

(c) If there was a bug in the software used to record the CD-R, then possibly it recorded full path names and now demands that the identical folder paths be present on the new machine. I haven't heard of that in recent times, but once upon a time it would happen. In other words, if the original file was c:\dribble\drabble\drubble.nwc, then you may need to have the path c:\dribble\drabble on the new machine, so you can put drubble.nwc into it.

Reply #18
c:\dribble\drabble\drubble.nwc

Hey, how did you make it past my firewall to read my Windows partition? :-p

Reply #19
I tried the CD thing. It didn't work.

CD-R completed without error

There was no password-protected account on old machine.

Reply #20
Anneth: I understand that the CD is created without warning or errors, that there are no password-protected accounts involved, that the sole issue seems to be transferring from Windows98 to XP, and that NWC files were not the only ones that couldn't be opened. Correct?

(1) After writing the CD, remove it from the machine that did the writing (if yous still have it), reboot, and then try to read the files from the CD back into the same machine that wrote them. Do this for a variety of file types, not just NWC (maybe include some simple things like text documents). Can they be read back? If not, then something is strange with the CD-writing capability. Before you panic, try a different brand of CD-R. I once had a package of CD-R from a major-name manufacturer that turned out to be unusable on my machine.

(2) Are there any kinds of files that can be transferred and opened from one machine to the other? Are there any kinds of files that cannot be transferred? If no file can be transferrred, that again suggests a problem with the CD-writing, and I would first try a different brand of CD-R. But if some files can be transferred and others not, try this: On the originating machine, put all the files you wish to transfer into a single large ZIP archive. Copy only the ZIP onto the CD-R. See if you can copy/paste the ZIP onto the desktop of the new machine, and open it from there.

Humor: When Netscape 4.7 was first issued on CD-ROM, the US English installer would not work. Netscape is located in the US (not far from where I live) and most of its customers are in the US. So if that one installer would not work (the others on the CD-ROM worked) it makes you wonder who did the beta testing. But the US English installed did work if the user copy-pasted the executable onto the desktop, then luanched installation from there, rather than directly from the CD-ROM as instructed.