Skip to main content
Topic: Clarinet Transposing (Read 2733 times) previous topic - next topic

Clarinet Transposing

Hi everyone! I just recieved NWC for Christmas and so far everything has worked pretty well. I just have one problem: I used a clarinet in a little piece I made but in transposing it, I set it at -2. After reading some of the postings here, I changed it to +2 as that is what (I thought) the postings said to do. When I played it, it was out. I changed it back to -2 and it sounded alright. I am using an F major scale..... Have I transposed correctly?

Re: Clarinet Transposing

Reply #1

No offense at all but your question made me smile :) If it sounds right, doesn't it mean that you have transposed it correctly? ;)

Reply #2
HeHe....I see your point.. I was just wondering if maybe my ears were decieving me or something... I don't know! I'm only 15! HeHe! But thank you.

Reply #3
The rule is that the written note C actually sounds as the Name of the instrument (although you have to watch octaves). So a Bb clarinet transposes a C down two semitones, An A clarinet down 3 semitones. There's plenty of material about it in the forum.

Reply #4
If you're ever as careless and unobservant as I am, you may not have noticed the little box that asks you if you want the transposition to "update staff play back transposition". If you want it to play back the actual sound a transposing instrument makes, you do (which is the default). If you're using the feature to actually change the key of a piece, you don't (this drove me crazy until I got smart and read the menu). So if you write out a score in concert pitch and then transpose the wind parts, that box stays checked.

Reply #5
Does it sound alright when you played it in +2. If it sounds almost right. Try to play it on the piano. i transpose sax to flute and i tried it on the piano and it worked really well!