Skip to main content
Topic: Recording Midi (Read 2284 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording Midi

Hi:

I would like my computer to record midi music from my keyboard.

I have Windows XP Pro.
I have a Midi capable Keyboard = Yamaha PSR-292 - new
I have SoundMAX Digital Audio on my mother board, that has no joystick port.
The only mention of midi is in the sound properties where it says "MIDI music playback" and default device says "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth"

My question is, if I buy a USB Midi cable, will it allow my keyboard to connect properly to my computer
and based on my computer sound s\w setup, will my keyboard be able to use Midi sequencer programs...etc.?

Thanks for your time.

Jim

Re: Recording Midi

Reply #1
I would think so, but, just in case, get one with a return policy.  USB is pretty amazing, but being such new technology it tends to be a bit flakey. 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 - I don't know.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #2
In this case, the problem to be solved is how to connect the (music) keyboard to your computer, given that there are no existing MIDI cable connections via joystick port, etc.

Does your computer have a USB port available? You can buy hardware that acts as an interface to the MIDI keyboard, and plugs into the USB port. I haven't tried one, but I am told that they work just fine.

I have an older parallel-port to MIDI interface that worked with Windows 98 (and with NWC), but its driver can NOT be installed to XP, not even with tricks. I don't think it's the port, but rather the interface driver (never updated by defunct supplier). Moral: If you do buy an interface, be sure it is XP compatible.

Reply #3
I should point out that if you do buy a MIDI interface, it will come with its own driver software that will give you more MIDI-related choices on your machine. Then, you will be able to choose the correct MIDI path from within NWC.

Reply #4
Thanks for you advices.
I found out that there are some new USB cables out there that will allow me to connect my Midi Keyboard to my computer:

Midiman Midisport Uno USB:
- USB 16-Channel Multiplatform MIDI Interface
- 1-in/1-out 16-channel MIDI connection
- comes with XP drivers
- includes Cakewalk Gold

UM-1X:
nearly the same

Yamaha UX16 USB:
nearly the same

From what I have seen the Uno looks the best and comes with Cakewalk Gold.