Skip to main content
Topic: Extended Rests (Read 3130 times) previous topic - next topic

Extended Rests

I finished a latin piece written for big band, and i've split the instruments into their separate parts.  I can't find any extended rest function however. Certain parts don't play for periods of up to 32 bars, and it would be more convenient not to have to look at 32 bars with whole rests in them.  This also would save lots of paper.
I was looking for something like a horizontal bar with two vertical at either end with the number of rests over top.

Does NWC have this function, or is there somewhere i can get it?

Re: Extended Rests

Reply #2
Unless the musician likes counting, 32 bars is a pain (you run out of fingers at 10 - grin).

It's easier to count shorter multi-bar rests several times than to count 32 bars.  I'd recommend using rests of not more than 8 or 12 bars, depending on the structure of the piece.  Rehearsal letters every 8 or 12 bars will help anchor those who get distracted when counting and can't remember which multi-bar rest they're counting.

Reply #4
Try my "new7" font.See "swing 8ths". The letter"c" brings up the multirest symbol and you just enter the number above. You need a couple of spaces etc to make the printout look good. But I use it. Of course  it screws up your measure (bar) numbering so that has to be entered manually as text say every 5 or 10 measures.

Reply #5
I never had that problem.  The measure numbers stay lined up automatically.  If I add a measure number it is because a multi-measure rest ends in the middle of a line and it makes that spot easier to find in a rehearsal.
Since 1998